[Nfb-seniors] Pedestrian Safety Enhancement Act Introduced

Freeh, Jessica JFreeh at nfb.org
Wed Jan 28 18:53:38 UTC 2009

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CONTACT:

Christopher S. Danielsen

Director of Public Relations

National Federation of the Blind

(410) 659-9314, extension 2330

(410) 262-1281 (Cell)

<mailto:cdanielsen at nfb.org>cdanielsen at nfb.org

U.S. Representatives Edolphus Towns and Cliff Stearns
Introduce Pedestrian Safety Enhancement Act

National Federation of the Blind Applauds Measure
  to Protect Lives and Preserve Independence of Blind Americans

Washington, DC (January 28, 2009):  Representatives Edolphus "Ed"
Towns (D-NY) and Cliff Stearns (R-FL) today introduced H.R. 734, a
bill intended to protect the blind and other pedestrians from injury
or death as a result of silent vehicle technology.  The Pedestrian
Safety Enhancement Act of 2009 requires the Secretary of
Transportation to conduct a study on how to protect the blind and
others from being injured or killed by vehicles using hybrid,
electric, and other silent engine technologies.  Thirty-two original
co-sponsors have already signed on to the bill.

Because blind pedestrians cannot locate and evaluate traffic using
their vision, they must listen to traffic to discern its speed,
direction, and other attributes in order to travel safely and
independently.  Other people, including pedestrians who are not
blind, bicyclists, runners, and small children, also benefit from
hearing the sound of vehicle engines.  New vehicles that employ
hybrid or electric engine technology can be silent, rendering them
extremely dangerous in situations where vehicles and pedestrians come
into proximity with each other.

"The National Federation of the Blind appreciates the wise and
decisive action taken today by Congressmen Towns and Stearns to
preserve the right to safe and independent travel for the blind,"
said Dr. Marc Maurer, President of the National Federation of the
Blind.  "The blind, like all pedestrians, must be able to travel to
work, to school, to church, and to other places in our communities
without being injured or killed.  This bill will benefit all
pedestrians for generations to come as new vehicle technologies
become more prevalent.  The blind of America will do everything in
our power to ensure its swift passage."

  "The beneficial trend toward more environmentally friendly vehicles
has had the unintended effect of placing the blind and other
pedestrians in danger," said Representative Towns.  "As someone who
taught travel with a white cane to the blind for many years, I
understand that the sound of traffic is critically important in order
for them to travel safely and independently.  This bill will prevent
many injuries and fatalities while still allowing more clean vehicles
on our nation's roads."

"I understand the safety concerns of blind pedestrians with these
quiet automobiles; I have heard the same concerns from senior
citizens in my district, and I appreciate the threat to children,
bicyclists, and runners," said Representative Stearns.  "I deeply
appreciate the support of all parties in supporting this important
safety legislation."

The bill requires the Secretary of Transportation, within ninety days
of its enactment, to commence a two-year study to determine the best
means to provide the blind and other pedestrians with information
about the location, motion, speed, and direction of vehicles.  Upon
completion of the study, the Secretary will report the findings of
the study to Congress and, within ninety days, establish a minimum
vehicle safety standard for all new vehicles sold in the United
States.  Automobile manufacturers will have two years to comply with
the vehicle safety standard.

###

With more than 50,000 members, the National Federation of the Blind
is the largest and most influential membership organization of blind
people in the United States.  The NFB improves blind people's lives
through advocacy, education, research, technology, and programs
encouraging independence and self-confidence.  It is the leading
force in the blindness field today and the voice of the nation's
blind.  In January 2004 the NFB opened the National Federation of the
Blind Jernigan Institute, the first research and training center in
the United States for the blind led by the blind.