[Nfb-seniors] Fall Newsletter

Judy Sanders jsanders.nfb at comcast.net
Wed Nov 25 11:20:38 UTC 2009

Newsletter

National Federation of the Blind Senior Division

Fall 2009

Volume ten Number two

President, Judy Sanders

111 Marquette Ave. South apt. 503

Minneapolis, MN 55401

Telephone: 612-375-1625

e-mail: jsanders.nfb at comcast.net

Submit inquiries to Ms. Sanders, at the above address.

Editor, Pat Munson

833 Key Route Blvd.

Albany, CA 94706

Telephone: 510-526-1668

e-mail: writenfb at pacbell.net

Articles for the National Federation of the Blind Senior Division, newsletter should be sent to: Ms. Munson.

Table of Contents

President's Message

     by Judy Sanders

NFB Senior Division Minutes for 2009

      by Ramona Walhof

A Whole New House Etc.

      by Bruce Woodard

So You're Blind, and You're Grandparents!

     by Joyce Cane, Ramona Walhof and Carl Jacobson

What If

     by Patti Harmon

Options for Blind Seniors

     by Ruth Sager

My 2008 Spring Break

     by J. Webster Smith, Ph.D.

To and from Hawaii by Ship

     by Pat Munson

This and That

President's Message

by Judy Sanders

It's a first!  Many of you are reading this newsletter on our seniors listserv.  If you prefer this method of reading please let us know if you no longer want a cassette copy.  Write me an e-mail off list and we'll take care of it.  DO NOT BURDEN THIS LIST WITH THAT INFORMATION.  You will find my e-mail at the top of this newsletter.

We all know that seniors are the best cooks in the world.  The "BRAILLE MONITOR," the NFB's national publication, is asking its divisions to submit recipes.  I have said that we seniors would love to share.  So if you have a favorite recipe to give please send it to me via e-mail.  Again, not on this list! If e-mail does not work for you send it the old-fashioned way.  My address is also at the top of this newsletter.  All recipes must not have been published in the MONITOR and we want them to be good.  I will send them on to the editor.  If we get too many maybe we'll publish our own cookbook.  Who knows?

We are nearing the end of our national Braille literacy campaign in honor of Louis Braille's 200th birthday.  Of course, the campaign never really ends because we have a constant battle to convince newly blind people that Braille is useful to them. If you are or know seniors who are new to being blind you may want to reflect on all the ways that Braille can be helpful to you besides reading books.  Here are just a few ideas:

1.  reading elevators; 2. playing cards (and holding yours under the table); 3. keeping phone numbers; 4. labeling cans and packages; and 5. writing down appointments.  There are many more uses for Braille in your life.  But if it is going to work for you it is essential that you practice every day and it is helpful to get encouragement from those already reading Braille.  If you are unsure of where to go to learn Braille, contact your local affiliate of the NFB.

It is not too early to make plans to join us in Dallas.  That is where we will be holding our next national convention and our division will have its annual meeting.  Many of the articles in this newsletter will give you a flavor of what our meetings are like. If you have questions you can use the listserv to seek answers or write to me directly.  To subscribe to our list send a message to

Nfb-seniors-request at nfbnet.org

Put the word subscribe in the subject and send it.

By the way, you can send me your recipes in Braille!

NFB Senior Division Minutes for 2009

by Ramona Walhof

NFB Senior Division 2009 July 5.

1:00 to 2:00 p.m.  Registration and Members and friends examined auction items at the same time. Remember, this auction is our major fundraiser.

Promptly at the given time, President Judy Sanders welcomed everyone to the meeting and asked for quiet while the program continued.  She asked us to introduce ourselves and give a little information.  Some of us were: Bob Crawford from Cincinnati, 91.  Harry Krueger of MN was next oldest.  Bob Crawford has 30 grandchildren; Magnolia Lyons from GA has triplet grandchildren; Joe O'connor from AZ also has triplets.  Daisie Drakeford from SC has great great grandchildren who are twins born this May.

Judy announced that the theme this year is Seniors in Charge.

Joyce Kane, President of the Crafter Division of the NFB, spoke on the Crafters' activities.

There was a panel of grandparents: Joyce Kane, Karl Jacobsen, and Ramona Walhof.

Karl Jacobsen demonstrated the KNFB reader.

Dawn Turkrel from Hadley School for the Blind reviewed the Hadley courses and services.

Kristi Bowman talked about the Independence March.

Ruth Sager and Doris Beverland talked about senior programs from BISM, Blind Industries and Services of Maryland.  The services include peer teaching, and 3 one-day workshops: Dollars and Sense, Basic Skills, and Healthy LIFESTYLES.  Each lasts 4.5 hours approximately.  They also hold 4-day retreats.  For more information go to wwwbismorg and click on seniors.

Dan Goldstine would like input about the Social Security Website.

There was an election   of two Board Members.  Don Gillmore was re-elected.  Marie Cobb declined to run for re-election.  Ruth Sager was elected to the second Board  Position.

We voted to increase our annual donations to five funds to 70 dollars each.  These funds are: SUN, Imagination Fund, tenBroek Fund, White Cane Fund, and Jernigan Fund.  Ray McGeorge moved and Betty McNally seconded that we increase our PAC donation to 50 dollars per month.  The motion carried.

This year our auction raised 612 dollars.  The meeting adjourned at 4:45 p.m.

Respectfully Submitted, Ramona Walhof, Secretary

A Whole New House Etc.

By Bruce Woodard

Editor's note: All I can say is that these long-time Federationists live the NFB spirit in the biggest way possible.

   Back in December of 2008 Betty and I were within one month of paying off the mortgage on our home. We had considered having a mortgage burning party. Well, as fate would have it, our plans were foiled. On the snowy morning of December 31, 2008 our wood stove acted up and within minutes the area around the wood stove was in flames. Our smoke alarm began sounding off and we hustled to get out just as quickly as we could. There was no time to grab anything because of the rapid advance of dense smoke and flames. It truly was a lesson on how quickly a fire can get out of control.

    Betty called 911 and I hurried to get dressed. A neighbor saw the flames erupting from the roof over the stove and also called 911. As we left the house we saw that we were about to get a delivery of home heating oil. Needless to say, the driver, who is also a volunteer fireman, did not make the delivery. Small comfort! He also called in the alarm and made sure we were safe.  We are somewhat chagrinned to admit that neither of us thought to grab our white canes. Betty called Mrs. Maurer and asked if we could order new canes. Dr. Maurer called back to lend his support. White canes are not fireproof. We got new ones within two days.

   Our town volunteer fire department was there within minutes. They were soon joined by fire trucks from two other towns. As we stood there in disbelief, the fire chief signaled to our neighbor to get us away from there. She took us to her home next door. The fire chief and the department chaplain kept us advised of what was happening. None of the news was good and after the fire was under control the chief and other firemen sat down with us to describe the extent of damage. Subsequently the house, along with most of its contents, was declared a total loss. But one fireman did get into the house during the fire and he saved pictures of all five of Betty's kids that were on the wall as well as her jewelry and our computer. After the fire we found that many things were not touched by flames but the smoke got into literally everything. Our clothes were a mess but I am stubborn and we washed many things over and over again. We did manage to remove 99% of the smoke odor from our NFB independence T-shirts. That should please Kevan Worley!

   To switch gears a bit, we really did not know our next door neighbors very well. But after they took us into their home during the fire we formed a lasting friendship. We stayed with Kathleen and Ron for twelve days until the insurance company found temporary living quarters for us. Wile we were with them many of our friends and neighbors came to bring clothes, food and caring support. Ron and Kathleen opened their door to everyone who wanted to see us. At one point, Betty said to Ron, 'This has got to be a terrible imposition on you'. His response was, 'I love it!' Members of our Church family were there the morning of the fire and they have continued to be by our side during reconstruction and all that goes with it. We received support from our Federation family and many friends in the blindness community here in Connecticut. The day we moved into our temporary home our state agency arrived with two brand new CCTVs. We can never thank these folks enough.

   We are fortunate to have good insurance protection. It has been 'hassle free' and they have been fair to us and we have been fair to them. Probably the most challenging aspect has been settling inventory issues. We have used professional services in this area and are glad we did. We don't need to tell you that most folks accumulate too much 'stuff'.

     Demolition took place in March and reconstruction began April 8th. We moved in August 28th.  The builder has done a great job in helping us redesign the floor plan and complete the process of construction. It has been fascinating to witness new construction methods and to learn about the latest building codes. We chose a different floor plan that allows Betty to have the laundry on the first floor rather than in the basement. Lots of other nice touches have been included.

  Looking back we do reflect on all the things that we lost but also we keep uppermost in our minds that we 'gotta move on'. We have been blessed in so many ways and each day we thank God for our lives, our family and all our wonderful friends.

So You're Blind, and You're Grandparents!

by Joyce Cane, Ramona Walhof and Carl Jacobson

Editor's note: The following panel was presented at the 2009 NFBSD meeting.

Joyce began by saying that she is new to blindness, and rather new to grandparenting. She has been a grandma for only six years. Presently she babysits all three of her grandchildren while their parents work. They, the grandchildren, range in age from a year to six.

The two preschoolers are with her all day, and the oldest joins the others at her house after she finishes school each day. Joyce has some assistance from her 91-year-old mother who lives with her. She said that all of them very much enjoy being together. It is wonderful having such an age range under one roof, and they all have such fun!

As with all children, it takes time for them to understand what blindness means. The middle child just doesn't understand the whole thing yet. When this three-year-old child wants her to look at something Joyce goes along with the child's idea, but asks questions until she understands what the child wants her to know. On the other hand, the six-year-old waits until she is busy with the other children and then, knowing where grandma hides candy, grabs some and runs to the bathroom and has a party. Of course, grandma finds the candy wrappers. Joyce realizes that the candy issue is not a blindness related problem, for children wait until the caregiver is otherwise occupied and then take action!

Ramona, our next speaker on the panel, reminded us that she raised her two children as a blind parent, so nothing has changed for her. The major difference is that raising children is very hard work, but having grandchildren is fun! Whether one is babysitting on a regular basis, or visiting at a distance, one has to establish the difference between the way sighted caregivers deal with situations and how the blind person gets the desired results.

With the youngest of children, the first thing they want is a reaction to cars going by outside, pictures on TV, and colored buttons. To children, almost everything is visual. This simply means that blind people have to find yet another way to react to or utilize these new toys or whatever they are.

Ramona continued by saying that she did not remember so many games and so on when her children were young. Now her grandchildren are pushing colored buttons when they are just infants.

She said that she found that the Braille Press was selling a set of blocks which had Braille dots on them. These blocks can be held together with Velcro.

She said that she was not sure what she was going to do with them, but Ramona found that her grandchildren love them. Her 3-year-old grandson likes making a train with them. The blocks have Braille on them, but at this time he is not interested in that.

Her six-year-old granddaughters like making words with the blocks. They use a Braille alphabet card to make the corresponding Braille words they know in print. The eight-year-old is quite

proficient at the Braille word process.

Ramona continued by saying that she had taken these Braille blocks to an NFB meeting. She showed everyone how these blocks could help blind people of any age because the Braille dots are large and easy to read.

When she goes to schools to speak about blindness, she takes the blocks because they are big and can be seen at a distance. This way sighted children can see the Braille while she reads it with her fingers.

Of course, she read to her children from Braille books as they grew, but now there is such a big collection that the choices are endless. She belongs to the Braille Book Club, but gets reading matter from a variety of sources.

She says that she starts reading to her grandchildren before they are old enough to run away. Sometimes they move grandma's hands out of reading position and say that they want to look. She tells them that that is fine. As they get older, sometimes they push her hands away and state that they want to look even more. That is fine but soon she has her hands back on the Braille dots. Sometimes they ask what each Braille dot means. She always answers their questions.

She has Braille decks of cards which also have the usual print numbers and so on. She plays the usual games such as fish; as they age, the games will get more complicated.

She said that her grandchildren love her white cane. When her children were young, they too liked to play with the cane, but that activity only existed outside with the cane tip on the ground, the same way Ramona always uses the cane. Each grandchild has a cane for exploring, but if the cane starts flying in the air, grandma takes it away immediately.

Her son notices that when his children's friends come over to play and want to make the cane fly that her grandchildren step in and take it away; they carefully explain that the cane is useless if the tip is not on the ground.

Her grandchildren know grandma is blind, but sometimes they forget; sometimes they tell her to look at something and she does. Then they tell her that she cannot look at what they are talking about, but she doesn't worry about it. This is simply part of the process of understanding blindness.

Ramona then told about her grandma toy. It is about the size of a deck of cards. Her son loaded 50 pictures of all her grandchildren into it so Ramona can show her sighted friends pictures just like all other grandparents do.

She ended by saying how much she is enjoying being a grandma! Grandma gets all the fun things and the parents get all the hard work.

Finally we heard from Carl Jacobson.  He said that he remembered getting his first AARP application and promptly tossed it for he could not possibly be that old! When the next year rolled around he was ready for the challenge of being over 50.

Carl said that those of us who have been blind for decades find the grandparenting thing easy, but that we need to assist those grandparents who are new to blindness.

Carl reminded us that kids and grand kids are always going to try to get things over on the caregiver and that it has nothing to do with blindness. This is nothing more than being a normal child.

If grandparents are new to blindness, they must first educate their adult children that with blindness skills, grandparenting is easy for those who are blind.

He said that when his kids could walk, he attached bells to their shoes so he would know where they were. They quickly learned to cover the bells with the top of the sock so the bells would not be so loud and it was harder for Carl to find them. One child thought Carl would never find him if he remained silent; but after a very short time the child forgot and giggled which ended the game. Again, blindness was not much of a factor here.

Carl continued by saying that he has twin grandchildren; one a boy and the other a girl. At the age of six, their little voices are almost the same, but his granddaughter simply takes his hand and puts it on her very long hair so Carl knows instantly that she is the granddaughter. She figured that out all by herself.

He said that when his grandchildren want him to look at something, he asks that they put the object into his hand so he can feel it. If the subject is a picture or something on TV, then the child must describe what he/she wants grandpa to understand. Then they continue with the discussion. After some time they will automatically put the item into your hand so you can see it, if it is an object.

Blind grandparents must be as comfortable with their blindness as they want their grandchildren to be. That might mean that the grandparent who is recently blind might consider attending one of the NFB training centers. At these centers, adults of all ages learn new skills, encourage other students to increase their range of blindness skills, and live the NFB philosophy.

Carl continued by asking how many grandparents were at this NFBSD for the first time. Many responded. He said that the folks to their left and right who did not respond have most likely been in the Federation for some time, and that these old NFBERs can also assist immensely. In NFB 51 weeks a year, we tell others that it is respectable to be blind; this week at the NFB convention we tell that to ourselves.

WHAT IF

By Patti Harmon

Editor's note: Here is yet another article by one of our best writers! This is her latest tale.

My diabetes was diagnosed when I was ten.  I had fallen into a coma, and nobody knew why.  My Mom was never going to shoot my thigh with a needle.  Both of us agreed about that.  As a kid with a disease, I ignored its seriousness.  Threats were useless.  Urine tests repulsed me.  I longed for popularity and a boyfriend.  Normalcy.

Fifty-two years later, I am a senior in a development crowded with seniors.  It is close to New York City, which is where my daughter lives and works.  I do not regret the move from New Mexico because I am single and she is close.  I rarely ask "what if I were sighted?"  I only ask: "what if I had not given birth to this daughter of mine?"

"Look at this list, Mrs. Harmon.  I did not make it up.  These are practical, sensible reasons you should not plan to have a baby!  You're __blind, too!  Please, There are reasons from A to Z!  Please don't let it happen again.  Let me read you more of these.  You must be practical!  Your body might not be able to take it."  said the doctor from behind his oversized desk in the ob-gyn clinic in Alamogordo, New Mexico.  The awful miscarriage had happened six weeks earlier, and I was returning for my followup visit.  My tears of deep disappointment were at the surface.      This was happening thirty-one years ago in the spring of our country's bicentennial, a year-long celebration to remember.  It was supposed to be that kind of year for me, too.  I shook my head in agreement.  Doctors were still the bosses.  I agreed with the policies presented.  No birth control was offered, and I never asked.

When I reappeared in the fall, there were warnings again.  If I survived, the baby might not.  The baby might not survive a full-term pregnancy.  Both of us were likely going to struggle.  Following twenty years of juvenile diabetes, a blind woman was already in danger of additional health issues.  Insulin shots and urine tests were strategies, not lifesavers.  Abortion never came up in conversation, unless it was talk concerning the miscarriage.  That was medically referred to as a spontaneous abortion.  I did kick a nurse then, because she was simply too sweet.

By August, I was pregnant once more.  When it was confirmed this time, I told nobody.  I nervously kept my hand on my belly while I sat--in my classroom, at faculty meetings, in cars and at home.  Others observed me, and guessed.  I did not say it out loud because I might jinx this pregnancy.  Movement was a miracle, and I intended to relish it.

 Each doctor at the clinic saw me.  That made me uncomfortable, but that was their setup.  When the woman delivered, any doctor was prepared.  Every woman had a favorite, I know.  Each visit at the clinic caused me stress and struggle.  Two of the doctors made me smile.  The others did not.

The youngest, speaking in calm patient tones, once said:  "At least you are experiencing what it's like to be pregnant.  Many women long for that feeling, and never have it."

I appreciated that statement eventually.  I bought maternity tops, and proudly wore them.  The world knew.  Teaching was an excellent distraction from thoughts of the pregnancy, and I even taught a college class.  I wanted to occupy time.  Immediately after Valentine's Day in '77, I entered the local hospital.  My legs ached terribly, but that ended quickly.  Because I felt fine, the hospital stay was difficult to accept for six weeks.  Boredom and emotional ups and downs controlled me.  What if this effort was in vain?

Two days before the end of March, my husband packed the car and we headed for the Albuquerque hospital, which had advanced technology to care for difficult pregnancies.  An experienced, trained team took over my case.  Oh, I was so nervous, so afraid.

They did the amnio synthesis; they artificially induced labor to watch lungs; they gathered measurements to figure out the baby's weight.  I don't believe I smiled for three days.

The next day they announced to us that she was going to be born by C-section on Friday, the first of April. (All of my being believed I was carrying a little girl!)   Oh, how afraid I was!  I talked with none of the other five women in the ward.  Sleep was impossible.  I huddled close to my television, which had no screen.  I prayed; I sobbed.

Another room, my home for the night before surgery, felt small enough for just a bed and a roll-around table.  Every hour the young intern came to draw blood and deliver roast beef sandwiches on thick wheat bread with ripe tomatoes.

"Just a few bites, Mrs. Harmon.  Your blood sugars are low, and you'll need strength to have that baby!" said the young intern, talking with a smile in his voice.  I know I pictured him handsome.  After he drew the blood, he opened the tiny packets of mayonnaise and spread it on one side of the sandwich.  Mustard went on the other.  Milk and graham crackers completed the midnight snack.  I was sitting up straight listening to John Denver music.  "Sunshine on my shoulders makes me happy.  Sunshine on my shoulders makes me blue."  Like Joan Rivers, I had had my hair done before coming north.  Perhaps I didn't want to muss it up!   Surgery came soon.  What if I had not been there in that hospital on that night?

When I came alive and awake, it was near noon--warm and sunny in the recovery room.  Everything hurt.  My husband told me the baby was a girl.  My heart celebrated.  Tears fell.

When a doctor brought her to meet me, she sounded like a whining lamb.  She was alive, and so was I.  What if I hadn't tried?

Jennifer Dawn had a tube in her mouth, so I could not hear her cry.  She wanted me to hear that sound.  I knew that.  Why else did she try to get that tube out?  She tried so hard they had to tie tiny mittens on her tiny hands.  There were balloons tied to her incubator, another indication she was one miraculous kid.  And she was mine.  What if I had not had her!

Some moments frightened me.  Alone, back in the ward, I signed documents which gave permission to take blood from the side of her little ear.  My husband had gone back to Alamogordo to take care of our jobs.  While we anticipated months in Albuquerque, Jennifer Dawn was progressing.  Surprisingly, they sent her home in a medical helicopter on Friday, the eighth of April.  I went in the car.  She went to the local hospital; I went home, without her.  The toughest blow came when doctors discovered I had an infected stitch.  Back into the hospital I went.  No one was allowed to visit, except my husband.  My wound required a sterile environment.  I cried most of all when I received a    cardboard rabbit on my supper tray.  It was made by Girl Scouts from toilet paper rolls.  .  It was Easter Sunday!  My tiny daughter was downstairs.  I was unable to see her or hold her.  But what if I had not had her?

A totally magnificent female student doctor had taught me how to nurse my tiny daughter.  She had provided training, and a pump.  It was a dream coming alive.  It made me sing to her and rock her. I nursed her on the waterbed all night long.  What a feeling!Even if doctors believed me stupid for trying to have this baby, they certainly helped me over and over.  That closeness was amazing.  What if I had not given birth and held this tiny creature?

What if I had not seen her moving on her bottom--never crawling?  What if I had not spent several years on my hands and knees, listening for her soft breathing, because she had fallen asleep on the carpet?  What if she had never come running to meet me on the sidewalk behind my classroom?  Grandma Mary Melendrez, our babysitter, created magnificent memories for me.  What if we had not gone swimming on summer days at the Elks with Arlene and Ronne?  What if we had never danced in the little living room?  What if she had never met her best friend, Jessica,  dancing in kindergarten? What if we had not slept together in the camper, above the truck?  What if I had made another decision?

There were back-to-school shopping trips to El Paso, where I tried to teach her my taste.  She soon taught me hers.  There were afternoons on the white sand dunes, when she read me magazines and novels.  A dog named Milky Way was buried in the backyard.  The "Storm" took us everywhere.  She borrowed my clothes and practiced with makeup.  We decorated Christmas trees and went to school picnics.  She fought with her best friends, and I interfered.  This daughter convinced me I loved cats.  On the band trip, she allowed boys in the hotel room.  I made it more trouble than necessary.  She delivered Chinese food and delivered me.  The three of us wrote the "Titanic" term paper.  Geometry created trouble; "Math Appreciation" was absurd.  Coke cans, unemptied, were everywhere.  Her bangs were too high.  She sang in the chorus, and I loved it.  Marching band made me shiver as the sounds floated on autumn winds.  What if we had missed high school graduation, with just the two of us screaming for her?  What if I had missed those sounds, those years?

She attended college over the mountain at New Mexico State University.  Like her mother, she did not set the academic world on fire.  The stories of us developing research papers together still make me laugh.  One paper studied the garbage of a friend, and what it revealed.  It told a tale different from the girl's telling.  Our grade was an A.  Then we wrote my autobiography for the women's health class.  How did it only receive a B?  It was my life, after all.  In college, she moved more often than I had my entire life.  I think I visited every apartment and house.

She earned her degree in Broadcast Journalism, and got a job with a small newspaper.  It was delightful to visit her apartment and roam Old Town Albuquerque.  Every piece of jewelry from there has its own story.  We do reminisce.  This first job brought out her natural spirit.  She wrote about local citizens, from artists to school superintendent.  Sort of suddenly, though, she announced the desire to move to the big city.  She meant BIG!  She was going to New York City!  She found a job and a place to live.  Our holidays together combined city exploration and seaside indulgences.  Roaming the streets of the city  thrilled me.  I understood why she loved this place.  When we traveled by train to the Jersey shore, I felt that passion for sea and sand as I had felt it as a child.  Unexpectedly, she found love.

What if I did not have this daughter with whom to travel through life?  The struggle was so worthwhile.  Life presents dilemmas, and we rarely know the goodness or badness of decisions until it is over.  I was afraid; I was confused; I was angry; I was strong and weak simultaneously.  When I retired, I moved to New Jersey.  I am right across the river from my daughter.  Today, we are family and friend.  We do not play "what if" games often.  In this game of life known as "what if," I win!

Options for Blind Seniors

by Ruth Sager

Editor's note: The following was given at the 2009 NFBSAID meeting in Detroit.

Ms. Sager began by telling us that the program for blind seniors at BISM in Baltimore has been in existence for 13 years. At her center, they knew that seniors losing vision wanted to learn the skills of blindness so they could remain independent and stay in their homes.

The center moved to its present location in Baltimore about five years ago. At the same time, an outreach program was set up to serve blind seniors who did not live in that area. The center tries to serve many blind seniors in that state.

This center has modeled its program for seniors after the programs at the NFB centers. The core courses are the same: white cane travel, Braille, computer access, and independent living skills. Seniors attend two days per week.

When the program began, center staff was not sure how much Braille or computer training seniors would want. The seniors fooled everyone. The program has been so successful that the center had to start a second class.

The center policy is that each student with remaining vision wears a sleep shade so the senior learns blindness skills as a totally blind person.

The center staff assumes that the seniors will learn Braille. Staff encourages new students even though they usually feel they will be unable to learn. But, since students all start the program at different times, the new student observes some students just beginning to learn, but there are others who are reading and writing Braille and are using it in their daily life.

When the new student can see the other students doing so well, it is very helpful for the more advanced students tell the new comer that it is possible.

Center staff does make home visits for those who cannot go to the center. When staff makes these visits, seniors who have completed the program assist.

The staff has encouraged program graduates to apply for teaching in the program. Now the Braille teacher and her assistant are both graduates.

Next Ruth introduced Doris Beverland who told her story.

She said that she was introduced to the program by someone in an SS office. But, at that time in her life, of course, she was not too blind, so she certainly did not need any services for blind persons, did she?

She said that the only reason she finally went to visit the program was because two of her friends were going to take her there. She said that she did not fear going, but perhaps, she was doubtful that she could learn all that unknown stuff!

When her friends got her there, the first thing that really caught her attention was the talking computer. She had been a writer and had learned to record what she wanted to write, but she did not have a way to transfer the material to print. When she saw JAWS in action, she got so excited that she had learned something so marvelous that she just went home at that point! She was too excited to learn anything more that day, but she did call and apologize, went back, and has never left.

Now she uses Braille for she loves writing poetry. When she started losing her vision, she tried memorizing as much as she could, but there were tons which were beyond her memory skills. Now she can transcribe poetry to Braille and read it when she pleases.

Now when she is teaching Braille to others, some have definite ideas about what they want to use Braille for. One woman simply wanted to make labels for items in her home; she was happy when she learned how, and that was that.

She ended by telling us that she is 79 years old, so age is not a factor. One student was 92 and she did very well.

Ruth then told of different seminars the program hosts. Staff takes talking devices such as scales, clocks, and the rest out into the community; those losing vision also get to see the talking computer. Attendees try a white cane, and see how Braille is helpful. These on the road seminars usually last about four hours and include the students making their own lunch.

For most attendees, this is their first exposure with blindness skills and to blind persons. After this session many feel that the center could help them and that they could do many things again.

The center offers a second seminar concerning money management. Staff has found that too many seniors losing vision, give up managing their money. Usually the senior is unhappy about it, but the other family members aren't satisfied with the arrangement, either.

This seminar teaches seniors losing vision how to manage and keep control of their money and related matters. If the senior has computer skills, staff shows them how online banking operates, and how to use check writing programs.

Students learn to use filing systems which are simple to use, and of course they learn how to fold paper money. Staff shows each senior how simple it is to use a talking calculator.

The third seminar for seniors is healthy life styles. It is important for the senior losing vision to learn to manage medications. Seniors do not need to rely on others.

Since there are many older persons with diabetes, staff assists these seniors in managing injections, blood sugar monitoring and eating a good diet. Of course students are taught different ways of labeling medicines.

The center has taken the life style program into hospitals. Nurses and other care givers do not know about all the techniques to assist blind patients.

Finally, Ruth told of four-day retreats for seniors losing vision. They get exposure to all aspects of managing blindness. Then, if they want, they can attend further training.

Anyone wanting more details about these or other programs at Ruth's center can go to www.bism.org.

My 2008 Spring Break

by J. Webster Smith, Ph.D.

Editor's Note: J. W Smith is the president of the National Federation of the Blind of Ohio and the father of two girls. He is often involved in school-related activities with his daughters. Here is what he has to say about his trip to New York as a chaperone with the high school band. This article appeared in the summer 2008 newsletter of the NFB of Ohio. If Dr. Smith was not a senior before this trip, I'm sure he is now!

Have you ever been to New York City? Have you ever been to New York City on spring break? Well, how about this one: have you ever been to New York City on a high school spring break band trip? That was the way I spent my spring break this year, as a chaperone for my teenage daughters, who are members of the Athens High School band. I've been to New York before, but never quite like this. You should understand that these trips are designed to save money and to keep the students as busy and worn out as possible in an effort to limit trouble and costs. I'm all for seeing and doing as much as possible, but I am not a fan of the wearing-out process because it truly has a negative effect on the chaperones. We boarded the busses on Monday evening and traveled all night, arriving in New York at about 7 a.m. The bus trip was complete with its usual driver exchanges, regular rest stops, and emergency breaks. The temperature on our bus was never comfortable for everyone, and the movie selections were interesting indeed. I'm still not sure that on a trip to New York City we should have been watching the Will Smith movie, I Am Legend. We made it to New York City that first day, and the plan was to drop us off at Rockefeller Plaza and to let us walk and shop to our hearts' content. My daughters loved it, and they enjoyed all of the walking and of course the shopping. The highlight for my eighteen-year-old Ebony was when she found a Hello Kitty store on 42nd Street. While she shopped, I rested, and the only thing that kept me from falling asleep was the realization that the longer we were there, the more money she was likely to spend.

On that first day we took a tour of the Radio City Music Hall. This adventure included more walking and several flights of stairs and levels. We did get to meet a real live Rockette, and she smelled good, too. Did you know that the Rockettes are selected by height (5'6" to 5'10") and that the real issue about their performances is not getting their legs up when they kick, but getting them down?

Traveling in New York City is an amazing adventure. The amount of pedestrian and automobile traffic can be overwhelming. One has to be prepared to be jostled, bumped  into, and brushed aside as a matter of routine. In fact, my daughter Ebony says that, if someone bumps into you and says they're sorry, they are probably not from New York.

Additionally, the various accents of people passing by, the food smells, especially the hotdogs, and the many different exquisite- and expensive-smelling perfumes were amazing indeed. A blind person must have good travel skills and a sturdy cane in this environment because the cane jumpers are everywhere. Needless to say, that first day we walked for blocks and blocks, and of course we shopped until we metaphorically dropped. Did you know that there is no tax on clothes in Manhattan up to $200? After dinner at the Hard Rock Café, we boarded our busses and were finally allowed to check into our hotel at about eight o'clock that night. I have never gone to sleep with my feet stinging. It was an interesting sensation.

We were up early the next morning and were once again deposited at the Rockefeller Plaza. This time we had some success because, even though we did not get to speak to any of the Today Show personalities, our Athens High School banner was on television. The bulk of our second day was spent on a bus tour, which included Ground Zero and other tourist attractions. I kept thinking to myself that this bus tour would have been appropriate for that first day. When we were at Ground Zero in a meditative and  contemplative atmosphere, there was a big eruption, which probably came from the nearby construction. Needless to say, that noise did make some of us think about September 11, 2001. Also on this second day, after lunch at Grand Central Station, we witnessed a mock emergency response conducted by New York City's finest. Out of nowhere came sirens and hundreds of police cars converging on a particular area. We learned later that they were practicing for the Pope's visit and making preparations for any emergency responses that might occur at that time. A word here about driving in Manhattan: it is not for the faint of heart. I cannot tell you how many times the members of my bus yelled, swore, and gasped at the near collisions of the drivers all around us. It was clear that this was no big deal to the New Yorkers, but for many of us Buckeyes it took our breath away. I shall never forget the sounds of the honking horns, the squealing brakes, and yes even the obscenities uttered by the taxi and limo drivers.

As a part of our trip we were granted the opportunity to see a Broadway show, and, as you might expect, the performance was amazing. We saw the show Wicked, and most of our group was in tears by the end of the performance. We took a tour of the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts and even got to listen in on the live rehearsal for an upcoming opera. So what did our band do? Well, they got to meet a Broadway musician and performed some music with him. He also gave them some sage advice, which included: "Everybody's an idiot, so don't listen. Just follow your own heart, work hard, and do what you want to do." That attitude pretty much sums up the New York way of life.

As we left New York and headed for Athens, I thought about what I often say to people when they ask me how I feel about Southeast Ohio: "One way to appreciate Athens is to leave it as often as you can." In this case that was never more true. It was refreshing and reaffirming to get back to our peaceful little town, and although I enjoyed the myriad of sounds and smells and accents, I enjoy the peace and quiet as well. New York is a happening place that never seems to sleep. The teenagers enjoyed it immensely, and I must say that it was certainly never boring. At one point during our trip I stood outside the bathroom waiting for one of my daughters, and I was privy to the cell phone

conversation of a gentleman who was clearly trying to close a major deal.

Let me leave you with one final incident. Upon returning to our hotel one night, we saw a stretch limousine out front. Everyone was trying to see who it might belong to or whether someone important might come out and get in the car. Finally, at some point, someone said, "You know, that limousine cannot be for anybody too important if they're staying with us at the Crown Plaza." I thought to myself, that's probably true, but on the other hand, since what some of us might think is amazing is no big deal to most New Yorkers, one could never really tell who was in that car, or whom it was waiting to pick up. And who knows? Maybe one day a car like that will be transporting one of our Athens High School band members, maybe even my daughter Joshelyn or Ebony.

To and from Hawaii by Ship

by Pat Munson

Finally it is Tuesday, January 6, 2009 and it is the long awaited day to leave for Jack's and my trip by ship to Hawaii. Our favorite cab driver, Ali, was parked in front of our house ready to take us to the airport at the arranged time.

After clearing security, we made our way to our boarding area. After an hour delay, so what is new, we flew to Los Angeles, took a long cab ride to our motel, and looked around for a decent restaurant. Happily we found a family-run Persian-Guatemalan charmer. What a feast we had. This meal was really a cheering event for the Los Angeles area seems to be made up entirely of strip malls and moving, noisy cars.

The next morning we were on our way to our cruise ship. We did the usual checking in, walked onto the ship but we were surrounded by blasting cacophony. The port of Los Angeles is very, very busy with container ships loading and unloading day and night.

On our way to our cabin, I failed to find any room numbers or directional signs in Braille. Boy, was I "fried". The cruise company had assured my travel agent that there was Braille all over the ship. Yes, there is Braille on the elevator buttons! However, these are the type of buttons that are flat and once a finger touches one, that floor is selected. This is yet another problem for the blind to tackle. I would like to remove all the print room numbers and direction signs, and then I bet we would hear a very large hew-and-cry. All those room numbers and signs are very useful for the blind as well as the sighted.

After I recovered from my "mad" attack, I found ways to make my way to the most important place, the dining room. But, on this ship, there is a different dining room for breakfast and lunch; there is always something else to learn.

The ship actually got underway at four in the afternoon. I sat out on my balcony and listened to all the shore activity, but as we moved out of the harbor, I could hear a small boat which was accompanying us.

As we approached the lighthouse at the mouth of the break water, a foghorn device sounded every few seconds. As the ship continued, it became very quiet except for the waves. Human noise was left behind.

After lifeboat drill, we made our way to the dining room where we enjoyed a fantastic meal with four other cruisers. It was a joyful event to close our first evening at sea!

Day two at sea commenced with a search for the dining room serving breakfast. Since the restaurants go across the ship, to go from one eating establishment to another, one must either go up a deck or down to get to the other dining room. We did have to eat extra for all the effort getting there.

We then did a number of turns around the promenade deck. Oh yes, the ship started to pitch during the night, and did not stop all day. Also, the sun has not shown

its face for even a second.

The next day started a bit easier, for we knew the route to breakfast. After eating, we walked a bit around the ship. Then it was back up 5 decks of stairs! I am finding that I am out of shape for stair climbing. Once I lie on the bed, I really have to force myself to get up again.

While in the cabin, I have been reviewing the process for downloading a Braille book onto a card reader in order to read a Braille book on my Braille Sense. All

this takes a lot of effort.

Tonight was the first dress-up night for dinner. I am not a fan of this for on vacation, I like to be casual; One of the guys at our table showed up in a black shirt; good for him!

During the night, we set our clocks back an hour, so dawn came later. The day was the usual routine, meals, exercise, and reading. This will all change in one more day, for we are getting close to the Hawaiian Islands.

This is the last day at sea. After breakfast, we went to the tour desk and signed up for three tours! In the past, we have not liked them very much, because we do not want to be educated!

Now we are trying our hand at washing clothes. Yes, this is a no brainer, but one has to have a handful of quarters, soap, and the knowledge of how to insert the coins in the machine.

We are not doing well with our resolve not to overeat. Dinners are out-of-hand, and breakfasts are no improvement.

Today is Monday, January 12th; at one in the morning, we set our clocks back yet another hour; about 6 a.m. we docked at the Island of Hawaii. .Since we were taking a tour, we had to be in the dining room at seven. After another monstrous breakfast, it was off to the tour.

The first of our stops was at a fantastic waterfall. We descended about 50 steps then crossed a bridge under which the water flowed after cascading down the cliff. We saw many lovely flowers and trees. Then it was back on our bus to a beautiful Japanese garden; besides flowers and trees, we saw many trees having a vast variety of fruit.

Our last stop was at a macadamia nut farm and processing plant. Of course, we could not leave without purchasing containers of the nuts. Let's see if they make it home!

Now it is Tuesday, and we are docked at Oahu and have returned from a tour of part of the island. We stopped at some of the beaches, walked through a forest, and ended in Honolulu at the Queen's palace. The tour guide is a college graduate, and did a great job, but I hate getting on and off a bus about six times.

This morning when we were about to leave the dining room, three blind ladies came in with white canes in hand. They did say that the cruise ship company denied them tours at the stop requiring tenders. Tenders are small boats that transport people to and from a big ship.  I told them that they should complain, but they said that they were on the ship simply to have a good time and that they did not want to cause any trouble. Knowing me as you do, I could not leave it alone. I told them that they would not be on this cruise having a good time if it hadn't been for the work of the National Federation of the Blind.

When an NFB couple wanted to honeymoon on a cruise ship, they were told that they had to have a sighted guide. The cruise company lost the case and then gave the honeymooners a free trip! Since then, blind folks are welcome with or without sighted persons. Here is another reason as to why we have the NFB!

We have enjoyed our time on the islands, but wish we could stay for weeks. This is too short a time to enjoy the many beautiful places.

During the night our ship made her way to another island. Today we took a van to walk around a beach on Nawiliwili. We sat on the beach sifting our hands through the sand. There was a ton of driftwood and parts of pine trees.

Like many places around the world, the economy is suffering. Very few people are shopping, and those who are are not buying much.

Today we got up at six thirty in order to get to breakfast in order to meet our last tour on the island of Maui. We were looking forward to the tour, but not the ride on the tender, to the shore. The ship could not pull all the way into the port. .About half way through breakfast, the ship's captain made an announcement that since a storm was approaching, he had canceled all shore activities. The captain did not want to take the chance of having half the ship's passengers stuck on shore if the storm arrived a bit sooner than expected.

We took a nice walk around the ship, went back to our cabin and took a nap.

Today is Friday. As far as we can tell, the storm never caught up with us. We put our clock forward an hour, but had no trouble getting to breakfast on time.

After our first meal of the day, we decided to check out the swimming pool situation. I think there are about four pools scattered around the top decks. We chose the largest one; the water was moving like waves on the ocean, but once one was swimming, the water movement was not a problem. While we were up there, we walked around the track, about a mile. This was all very good exercise.

Tonight is the next fancy-dress dinner. Jack and I shall wear almost the same costumes as before. I shall stop writing about dinner, for I feel hungry.

Today is Saturday, January 17th. We had trouble sleeping last night, because the ship was really pitching and rolling in the high seas. Therefore, after breakfast, we took a long morning nap.

I sat out on our balcony to enjoy ten minutes of sun, and listened to the waves. After lunch, we took a short walk around the ship, and then enjoyed the ship's classical music trio. These eastern European musicians are very talented.

Now we look forward to dinner with the two other couples with whom we eat each night. The husband, John, from Canada, has the habit of covering the remains of his food with his napkin; he rarely eats it all. The other couple, from Southern California, do a lot of complaining about their food. You most likely know what eating with Jack and me is like; we eat anything I don't cook with great gusto! However, I think all six of us will miss one another when the cruise is over.

Today is our last Sunday on the Golden Princess! Last night we put our clocks ahead an hour; now we are back to California time.

Our morning was the usual. We had breakfast, but I must make some confessions. Besides a sweet roll, I have had more than my share of eggs, bacon and toast; I'm so bad.

After eating, we proceeded to the promenade deck for a good walk; also, today is much cooler than Hawaii; it has not gotten above the mid sixties.

After walking I started reading a digital book, but fell asleep. I had to rest up for lunch, right? It's confession time again. Today was a very sad story. I started the meal with a salad, but then it was all downhill! I had ordered sausage and potato salad, the latter being one of my favorites. But, I sacrificed Indian samosas and beef curry stew! Jack had the last mentioned dish; all I can say is that this ship has a great Indian cook.

At home we have an apple, carrots and celery and cheese. The tape measure and scale will tell the "story" when we get home! I should be ashamed of myself, shouldn't I?

Today is Monday and we are less than a day from Ensenada Mexico. We will be in port for a whole day. I cannot say I am expecting too much. This city is very close to the U.S. boarder.

We have followed our usual routine, so there is not anything of note to report. The ocean is flat and the sun is shining; however, at noon the temperature was only 61.

Tonight is the last fancy dress dinner. The menu does not look very exciting for I am not thrilled by lobster. Also, baked Alaska sends me nowhere. Oh well, I sincerely doubt that I will starve.

I chose hazelnut ice cream. I thought it would be that great Italian stuff; I'm sorry to report that I did not know someone could ruin such delicious ice cream, but someone did, and it had almost melted by the time it was served.

Now it is Tuesday, January 20th, and the U.S. has a new President. Personally, I will be amazed if he can "make magic" and improve the situation in this country.

Speaking of countries, today we are in Mexico. Jack and I did a three-mile walk on shore. I did not really see the city, but what I did pass was all the usual tourist souvenirs I have seen in other cities. Where we walked, down by the ocean, was very nicely kept; there were many flowers, benches and a nice park.

What I find interesting is that when we arrived early this morning, and then later in the afternoon, the fog was present. Oh, when we were walking back toward our ship, Jack said that the ship appears to be at least two blocks long, and about fifteen stories high. I probably would not want to know how much fuel it takes to move this vessel.

When we were in Hawaii, I forgot to mention the problems with Island drivers. On one island I heard a program about the number of accidents they have on a daily basis. Drivers simply do not pay attention to their driving. I would be interested to talk to blind persons who live on the islands to get their perspective.

Most likely this will be my last entry before I am home. It might take me a while to gain the strength to write. For at home I will have to cook, clean the house, shop, and deal with other pleasures such as bills. If I want my bed turned down and a candy on the pillow, you know who will have to do the work!

Well, as it is said, "The party is over!" Our journey off the ship, through the Los Angeles airport, and flight home were uneventful, I am happy to say. Now it is back to the real world! I have unpacked, cooked dinner, and cleaned up the kitchen! Now I must do all the chores which were done for me on the magic ship! Now Jack and I have all our wonderful memories. Stay tuned for the next adventure.

This and That

The KNFB Reader

by Carl Jacobson

Editor's note: Carl Jacobson is part of the sales team for this device.

He said that he has the device sitting on the table and that it is smaller than his hand; it is a cell phone besides being a reader.

He continued by turning the device on, taking a photo of the page in front of the camera in the device, and having it read the page which someone had given him at random. It read clearly and rapidly. The page was upside down, we know that because the camera announced that, but the device read from the correct top of the page to its bottom.

He then had the camera take a photo of a large plastic bag which had print on it. It could not read everything on the bag, but it did allow us to know the contents of the bag.

It reads money, but it can not read stylized print such as the kind on Campbell's Soup.

It costs way under 2000 dollars and takes a couple of days to learn to use.

With the screen reading program, and there are two to choose from, he can also access his e-mail and his cell phone.

NFB has a loan program for anyone who would like to purchase the reader. The interest is only 3 percent which is hard to beat. Also, NFB will work with your budget so payments will not leave you with no food money! He concluded by saying that this device is wonderful for those who need it. Some younger folks might think that some of the people at the National Federation of the Blind Senior Division meeting are over the hill, but they are not letting useful technology pass them by!

Just in case you weren't feeling too old today, this will certainly change things. Each year the staff at Beloit College in Wisconsin puts together a list to try to give the faculty a sense of the mindset of this year's incoming freshmen. Here's this year's list:

The people who are starting college this fall across the nation were born in 1985. They are too young to remember the space shuttle blowing up.

Their lifetime has always included AIDS.

Bottle caps have always been screw off and plastic.

The CD was introduced the year they were born.

They have always had an answering machine.

They have always had cable.

They cannot fathom not having a remote control.

Jay Leno has always been on the Tonight Show.

Popcorn has always been cooked in the microwave.

They never took a swim and thought about Jaws.

They can't imagine what hard contact lenses are.

They don't know who Mork was or where he was from.

They never heard: "Where's the Beef?", "I'd walk a mile for a Camel" or "de plane Boss, de plane."

They do not care who shot J. R. and have no idea who J. R. even is.

McDonald's never came in Styrofoam containers.

They don't have a clue how to use a typewriter.

Pass this on to the other old fogies on your list. Notice the larger type? That's for those of you who have trouble reading the smaller print.

The end