[Nfb-seniors] New Accessible Diabetic Devices Available

Andrews, David B B (DEED) David.B.Andrews at state.mn.us
Sat Apr 24 02:01:37 UTC 2010

From: Wilson, Joanne [mailto:JWilson at nfb.org]
Sent: Friday, April 23, 2010 1:43 PM
To: Andrews, David B B (DEED)
Subject: New Accessible Diabetic Devices Available

Dear Colleagues,

Five years ago, the NFB asked all the blood
glucose meter companies to make a talking meter
for our members.  Prodigy was the only company to
step up and make a talking meter. At our request,
they made the first talking Prodigy AutoCode™
meter.  They also worked with many NFB Team
members for over a year and made the first fully
audible Prodigy Voice™ meter allowing NFB Members
with diabetes total independence. In 2008, we
presented the NFB Access + Award to Prodigy for their Prodigy Voice™ meter.

The Count-A-Dose has been used for many years by
blind diabetics, so they can independently fill
their insulin syringes. We were told it would no
longer be available and we asked Prodigy again to
help us out.  Prodigy bought the patent rights to
make the Count-A-Dose, and after some slight
improvements, they released the new Prodigy
Count-A-Dose® on April 1st, 2010.  The NFB
Independence Market in Baltimore will be selling the Prodigy Count-A-Dose®

Later this year, Prodigy will also be releasing
the first fully audible insulin pump, as well as
a talking pill bottle, a laser lancing device,
and other new accessible products. Please pass on
this information on to blind diabetics.

Sincerely,

Joanne Wilson
Executive Director of Affiliate Action