[Nfb-seniors] Senior Divison newsletter

Judy Sanders jsanders.nfb at comcast.net
Wed May 5 20:36:01 UTC 2010

Newsletter

National Federation of the Blind Senior Division

Winter-Spring 2010

Volume eleven Number one

President, Judy Sanders

111 Marquette Ave. South apt. 503

Minneapolis, MN 55401

Telephone: 612-375-1625

e-mail: jsanders.nfb at comcast.net

Submit inquiries to Ms. Sanders, at the above address.

Read by ---

Editor, Pat Munson

833 Key Route Blvd.

Albany, CA 94706

Telephone: 510-526-1668

e-mail: writenfb at pacbell.net

Articles for the National Federation of the Blind Senior Division, newsletter should be sent to: Ms. Munson.

Table of Contents

President's Message

     by Judy Sanders

A Blind Senior Goes Zip lining

     by Pam Gilmore

 One trip to an NFB convention

      by Pat Munson

The KNFB Reader

     by Carl Jacobson

Art Schreiber Talks about His life at a Retirement Lifecare Facility

     by Art Schreiber

Exercise Class

     by Terry Griffon

Blind Seniors Never Stop Learning

     by Dawn Turco

Fading Memories

     by Nancy Scott

So Where Did You Get That Spoon

     By Pat Munson

This and That

President's Message

by Judy Sanders

This is my favorite time of year!  We Minnesotans are a hearty lot who have bragging rites because we survived another winter.  This was a hard winter for many across the country which means more of us can smile together because it is over!

Everyone can now put their minds on making plans to come to Dallas for the annual convention of the National Federation of the Blind.  There is much to experience and learn during this time.  You can participate in traditional events such as our annual division meeting or, if blindness is presenting great challenges for you,  you might want to experience a seminar that has been designed just for you.

There are more seniors who are blind and losing vision than people of any other age group.  The NFB offers them opportunities.  Thirty-six of them will have the chance to participate in a seminar Saturday in Dallas from 9:30 to 2:00.  This seminar will fill up fast, so each state should send in recommendations for participants immediately.  Members of the Senior Division will teach basic cane travel, introduction to Braille, learning about new devices, and tools and techniques for working in the kitchen.  In addition, all participants will have the opportunity to get aquainted with both blind people who have mastered the techniques of blindness and those who are now making the adjustment.

There is no charge for the seminar, but participants will need to pay for their own lunch, probably about five dollars.  We will invite a balance group from the recommendations we receive, choosing from as many states as possible.  We are excited to be able to offer this opportunity for the first time at a national convention.  States that have not already done so may wish to take some of the ideas back home and pass them along to even more seniors who are losing sight.

Whether or not seniors participate in the Seminar, all are welcome to come to the Seniors annual meeting Monday, July 5.

To apply for this seminar you should notify me at the e-maill address at the top of this newsletter.  You can also call me. Again, see information at the beginning of this newsletter.

If you are planning to attend our convention for the first time I would love to talk to you.  I would like to invite a first-timer to speak during our seniors meeting to talk about what brought you here.  I also want a person who came back a second time.

Do you have ideas for our upcoming agenda?  Let me know!

This column would not be complete if I did not remind everyone that we will once again have a not-so-silent auction at the beginning of our annual meeting.  We are looking for donations of baked goods, audio books and other valuable items.  Ramona Walhof is coordinating this effort and would appreciate knowing what you plan to bring. Her e-mail address is:

rwnfbi at qwest.net

Her phone number is 208-338-1595.

I look forward to meeting many of you in person.  See you in Dallas!

A Blind Senior Goes Zip lining

by Pam Gilmore

Editor's note: The following event took place on a cruise upon which 60 some Federationists vacationed. Some of our NFB group took off-the-ship excursions. Some went deep-sea fishing, swimming, picnicking and so on, but the following story shows how one blind senior blazed a trail for those to follow.

Let me begin by saying that zip lining is not a wardrobe malfunction, or a computer term. Zip lining is done about 200 feet above the ground under a canopy of trees. One climbs up to the first platform and then is put into a harness which is attached to a strong cable which angles down to the next platform which is secured to a huge tree trunk. These trees with the platforms also anchor the zip line cable.

One wears a helmet and very heavy gloves; the gloves can be used to slow the harness on its descent.

Let me say that like all the other zip liners, at the base of the rocks, roots, and so on that we all had to climb to reach the first platform, we all had to give up personal belongings. I had to give up my purse, other items and my white cane. Because there was no way any of us could climb on our hands and knees with anything to carry.

For a sighted person, this bird-like flight would be filled with sights of sky, parts of trees and perhaps birds, but as a blind person, I was solely interested in the feeling of flying!

Back at platform number one, after I was harnessed and so on, I was then asked if I were ready. I was not too sure what I was committing myself for, but so goes life! Then I was simply pushed off into my flight at 30 miles per hour.

There were about 12 platforms with the cable sometimes at more of an angle downward. Let me say that at first I was really scared. But, after some time, I began to really enjoy myself so I would simply lean way back in my harness and swing back and forth as I descended.

When I reached the last platform I was at ground level. I was de- harnessed and given back my purse and white cane. Boy, did I feel like a pioneering blind bird!

Now let me talk a bit about NFB philosophy. Sometimes we simply want to do things because sighted folks do them, and if they can accomplish them, so can the blind!

Before I went on my tree-top flight, I thought about taking this new adventure; I was very frightened of pushing myself to try something so unknown to many of us.

I talked it over with my husband. I kept telling him that I needed a lot of time to think about this new, scary venture.

We were sitting at breakfast on the last day to purchase a ticket for the zip lining. While I was still thinking about this zip lining thing, while I was drinking my coffee, my husband said that he would be right back.

Finally, my husband came back to the table and asked me if I were ready. He told me to put out my hand. He said that I was going zip lining in 30 minutes. So, I was zip lined into going zip lining.

I knew that if my husband thought I could do this, that, of course, I could. So, on my next cruise perhaps I'll go parasailing! In NFB, we are now the blind flying with the blind! As we say in NFB, We are the blind who know who we are, and we'll never go back!

One trip to an NFB convention

by Pat Munson

Sometimes I think about longtime Federationists, who do not attend national conventions anymore. Why do he, and others, make the choice to stay at home?

I'll tell my husband Jack's and my 2009 adventure to Detroit.

First is the obtaining a hotel room and plane tickets. After those decisions are made, the only other chore is that NFB preregistration online. Without my friend helping from time to time I would never get the thing completed and sent.

Packing is not hard, for basically we take the same kinds of clothes and so on. The hard part is finishing the project!

This year, our favorite taxi driver picked us up and safely delivered us to the airport door. After obtaining our seat assignments, it was off to security. That's where the fun is for Jack; since he has had knee-replacement, they take him to the search area; I'm just happy that they leave me alone these days. I used to get searched almost every time.

Now, I rest on a chair some nice security person finds for me, put on my jacket and shoes, check to ensure my lunch, bag, and all of Jack's junk is there.

By the time they finish with Jack, he has lost his sense of humor!

Next it is on to the gate; oh, I forgot to say that we have carry-on bags, so we are rolling them with the rest of the parade.

As usual, our gate was the last one out! But, this time we found something new, there were no chairs there. Someone from the airlines said that they were changing the gate area; finally we found two seats together about a block away, so the parade came to rest! Jack is a great help to me, because I have such a hearing loss that I would have to have help the entire way; even with Jack, I find the journey to the gate tiring.

After boarding and finding a home for the bags, I blow up my pillow which helps my back rest on the trip. Poor Jack sits in an aisle seat, but even so, his replaced knee, long legs (he is six foot two inches) and his size 14 feet have space problems!

We found the Detroit airport fine, and it was not bad getting to the cabs, but we were tired! The taxi driver was interesting so our journey to the hotel was pleasant!

The girl at the registration desk was very helpful, so the process went smoothly, it was late in the evening, so the rest of you were not there, thanks!

I'm sure Jack would have plenty to say about the next day, but I will not give him a chance! His job for that day was to try and help, hearing-loss me, find the places I would need to go by using walls. I do not care how much longer it takes me to get from my room and back to where I need to go, as long as I can do it by myself.

Let me say, that I have learned how to get to most places in that Dallas football field sized hotel we have used and will use next year!

Jack and I did go to the exhibit hall but for a very short time; I try to choose a time when I hope the rest of the NFBERS will be napping, but you show up and shout the entire time Jack is trying to tell me which booth is next. I enjoy seeing all the new stuff, but I wish all of you would go, somewhere, anywhere!  Am I the only one who feels that way?

The first morning I started having trouble with my allergies, was when I went to a seminar for Braille Sense users. The cold air in the room drove my nose and left ear allergies crazy; I know I'm old and suffer from many problems, like you, so I shall not dwell on the subject! Oh, by the way, I am writing this article on my Braille Sense and love the thing; I hated it when I was trying to learn how to use it, but now I can write in Braille, transfer data to an SD card, and have the text magically come to life in my computer!

Oh, let me state that one of my favorite things at convention is seeing old friends. Since my first convention was in 1971, I have met a few Federationists who have kept in touch. One is now a lawyer on the east coast, but who started her career in CA. Another is a middle-aged gal I mentored when she was 17 and a scholarship winner in the mid 80's. Another is a couple we met recently, but whom we had known from the Braille Monitor for years! There are countless others, but you get the idea. Sometimes we have a meal together, but you know how hard it is to find the time to see everyone.

Registration is now very easy, and getting a Braille agenda is easy, also. Later that day we tried that exhibit hall!

After the board of directors' meeting, there was just time for a quick lunch, and then on to the National Federation of the Blind Senior Division meeting. Besides the fantastic auction items, members enjoyed a very interesting meeting. President, Judy Sanders, runs a great meeting!

The next morning Jack and I awoke before dawn and readied ourselves for the March. We did the longer march and really enjoyed being down by the river. After the events at the plaza, we trekked back to our room for a rest. Then it was time for me to find the California  delegation in the hall. When I arrived at the hall level, I could not hear anyone; I had my wall route so I just started walking. My mistake was when I was near the hall. I could hear Federationists calling near the hall doors; I left my wall and then wandered I do not know where. Finally, I must have done something correctly for I found a lady seated in a chair. She was miles from California, but I just sat! When I wanted to go to the restroom or finally the elevator, I followed my wall plan and all went well!

I did get the hang of the shape of that crazy hall and could find any delegation, but I wonder who designed that hall and the rest of the complex! What is the point of all that wasted space?

For the first time the banquet was the last event of the convention. I sat next to 2 seniors who were whining with me about the long journey we would be taking the next day to get back to California. What we will do because we are Federationists! Those of us who have been around for a while, were witness to all the doors opened to the blind by opening NFB blindness training centers and employment opportunities at the federal, state and local government.

The KNFB Reader

by Carl Jacobson

Editor's note: Carl Jacobson is part of the sales team for this device.

He said that he has the device sitting on the table and that it is smaller than his hand; it is a cell phone besides being a reader.

He continued by turning the device on, taking a photo of the page in front of the camera in the device, and having it read the page which someone had given him at random. It read clearly and rapidly. The page was upside down, we know that because the camera announced that, but the device read from the correct top of the page to its bottom.

He then had the camera take a photo of a large plastic bag which had print on it. It could not read everything on the bag, but it did allow us to know the contents of the bag.

It reads money, but it can not read stylized print such as the kind on Campbell's Soup.

It costs way under 2000 dollars and takes a couple of days to learn to use.

With the screen reading program, and there are two to choose from, he can also access his e-mail and his cell phone.

NFB has a loan program for anyone who would like to purchase the reader. The interest is only 3 percent which is hard to beat. Also, NFB will work with your budget so payments will not leave you with no food money! He concluded by saying that this device is wonderful for those who need it. Some younger folks might think that some of the people at the National Federation of the Blind Senior Division meeting are over the hill, but they are not letting useful technology pass them by!

For more information about the KNFB Reader go to

www.knfbreader.com

Art Schreiber Talks about His life at a Retirement Lifecare Facility

by Art Schreiber

Over a year ago, I moved into what is called a lifecare facility here in New Mexico. Once you make the by in payment and sign all the papers, you are here for life. On the grounds are independent living, assisted, and nursing care.

Although I still get around just fine, I decided to move here when I did, because one must be able to walk in unassisted; in other words, the facility will not take a person who is already very sick. I wanted to get here, before I forgot my name. I did not want my children to worry about what they were going to do with "the old man!"

When you buy into this retirement facility, you choose either a studio, one-bedroom or two-bedroom apartment. Of course, the more rooms you buy, the higher your monthly payment. I chose the two-bedroom unit, but I had changes made which is quite common. I use the second bedroom as an office. I changed the kitchen arrangements and added a walk-in shower added to the master bath.

I like living here very much, but I do miss where I lived before. I had an apartment on the 13th floor and had a fantastic view which my sighted friends loved. Now that I live in a building with only a couple of floors with very long hallways, I feel as if I must walk miles to get my mail or go to the workout room. However, I get a lot of exercise.

I really enjoy having one meal per day prepared for me. In most of these lifecare facilities, one gets 30 meals per month. The meals can be used for breakfast, lunch or dinner. If I am gone for a week, I can double up and have two meals a day for the next week.

The facility has workers who clean apartments, take away soiled towels and change the sheets. Washers and dryers are down the hall and are free. All this help leaves me plenty of time to pursue my interests.

If you want to have guests for meals, you must buy a meal ticket, or a book of ten tickets. I really like knowing that the meals are there if I want all of them. I also like knowing I can have a meal here with friends and family when I like.

I do have a full kitchen so if I want to listen to sports or news during the dinner hour, I simply prepare my meal and eat in my apartment. Also, if I do not want to eat in the dining room, I can call and order a sandwich, fruit and a dessert, and then pick it up and take it back to my apartment. Three meals are available for those who want to pay for them.

I live in the independent living section, so I can come and go as I please. However, there are many rules which I do not like. If I am going to be gone overnight, I must let them know. There is a device on the door which shows security that the door has been opened in the past 24 hours. They want to ensure everyone's safety.

I use the public bus system, but this retirement facility has vans which take residents to doctor appointments. Since one doctor I see is on the west side of town and the vans do not go that far, I take the city bus and then walk about eight blocks.

I'm sure there will come a time when I cannot do all that on my own, so I will see different doctors and utilize the van service. Also, vans take the folks to different chain grocery stores in malls so the people who live here, do not need a car for their daily needs.

There are events and activities all the time. For example, there is a men's breakfast, a women's lunch, a woodworking shop where men and women make all kinds of things, the railroad club is also very popular. Vans take folks to the theater and musical events.

To insert a personal note, as I said, the woodworking shop is very popular, but you will not find me there. When I was a student at the Commission for the Blind, I did make a required project, but I have never liked making things with my hands.

Almost every night, there is a lecture, musical performance or something open to all who live here. I do not attend many because I am still so busy doing other things.

Now let's talk about costs to move in and monthly charges. If you want more than the one meal per day you have paid for, that is extra. Then if you will eat two more meals in your apartment, you must pay for that food. There is a very small store in the building, but prices are higher. Then if you move to assisted living, you pay for three meals a day.

There is a wonderful workout room, and heated pool. But, before you can use this facility, you must have had clearance from a doctor.

As I said earlier, I hate rules, but we have 450 persons living here, so rules are necessary. I was president of my condo building for many years, so I am not going to get involved I've been there and done that.

The nursing care facility is excellent so everything is available. We even have a bank; the only problem is that it has very limited hours. But, anything you purchase within the building can be put on your monthly account. There is no post office, but the front desk will sell stamps and prepare packages for mailing.

Of course, before you move to a place like this, read the contract very carefully. There is a cost-of-living increase each year. This place is a nonprofit so once you buy in, your estate receives no money back after your death.

If, after you have lived here anytime less than five years, you can leave, and you will get some of your money back. However, I have not heard of anyone leaving.

Exercise Class
by Terri Griffon

>From the Editor: The following is from the June 2009 Braille Monitor. Terri Griffon and her husband Nick Wilcox live in Ypsilanti, Michigan. As you will note from the article that follows, she believes in the value of exercise. Perhaps her story will encourage us all to get in shape for the summer. This is what she says:

"Place the resistance band [a stretchy rubber cord with handles on each end] around your back just under your armpits. Grasp it with each hand and stretch it equally on both sides by extending your arms forward and out," Barb said. "Your elbows should be slightly flexed and your forearms should be parallel to the floor. Stretch the band by extending your arms until your hands touch in front of you as far forward as you can reach. This is a chest press." I successfully completed this exercise and seven repetitions. Smiling, I thought back to a time I had foolishly skipped participating in the class, assuming I would not know what was happening because of my blindness.

It all started in September 2006 when my treadmill malfunctioned. I was used to walking for an hour a day on it, but it was becoming unsafe because it would not maintain a constant speed. I started walking outside but found that I was not able to walk as fast over the uneven ground using my cane, so my heart rate was not high enough for a true aerobic workout. I live in a subsidized complex for seniors citizens and people with disabilities that offers an exercise class twice a week. I had been skeptical about joining the class because I thought I would not be able to follow the instructor's directions. Regardless of my misgivings, I decided to participate because I felt sluggish without an exercise regimen.

First I consulted the instructor, Barb, who seemed very willing to use auditory cues so that I could follow the exercise she was demonstrating. "The class is composed primarily of seniors," she explained. "Everyone has some issue we are working around." Barb used clear auditory explanations. My doubts about my ability to participate had caused me to miss a worthwhile opportunity for six years. Another incorrect assumption I was making was that the instructor would demonstrate by doing an exercise without explaining it. Barb later reassured me that, since not everyone learns by mere demonstration, a good instructor accompanies every part of each exercise with explicit verbal instructions.

This class is designed to promote increased balance, range of motion, flexibility, and good posture. After the first day I was sore, but I felt my posture improving. I almost felt taller as I walked. After participating in the class for close to two years, I am now seeing some benefits from increased strength and balance. For example, each summer my husband Nick and I attend a week of camp sponsored by Christian Record Services for the Blind. I pretty much live in the lake: swimming and diving. One of our favorite activities is riding the water shark. The shark is a delightfully adventurous rubber boat that six people sit atop. In front of each person is a handle extending approximately three inches above the rubber. The shark is attached to the motor boat by a rope. The driver motors along at a top speed of fifteen mph. He or she takes pleasure in driving in circles and over waves. This inevitably capsizes the shark and dumps the riders into the water. Of course falling is half the fun. The other part of the fun is trying to stay on top of the shark in spite of all of its gyrations. We were treated to this ride for about an hour each day and fell from three to seven times. On one ride the shark almost tossed me, but I managed to hang on. I concluded that I had probably managed to stay on because of my increased balance and strength from the exercise class. I commented to my husband and the other riders, "Wow, that was close! I thought I was going to bite it for sure. Anybody? Anybody?" Then the realization hit, and I started to laugh. I was the only one still on the water shark. Even my husband was in the water.

The exercise class has also increased my flexibility. My husband and I attend a four-day camp for the blind sponsored by the Salvation Army. One sensationally spectacular surprise this year was the zip line. To access it we first had to climb a tree on three-inch metal staples to a height of forty-five feet. Physically this was the hardest thing I have ever done. I am only four feet eight-and-a-half inches tall, so the stretches between staples were as far as I could possibly reach. At the top of the tree one must climb onto a platform. All this is done in harness, so we are completely safe. Two men provide assistance by belaying us and providing instructions about the location of the next staple.

After safely reaching the platform, we attached our harnesses to the zip line. As I jumped off the platform and flew along the zip line's 350 feet of cable, I knew this was going to be my closest experience to flying until I reach heaven. Only one other person besides my husband and me successfully negotiated the zip line. All of us were totally blind. However, my blindness was surely not my biggest handicap. It was my shortness. The two men climbed the tree in a third the time it took me to scale it.

Now I encourage others around the complex to participate in this excellent exercise class. It is a great way to enhance energy as well as to increase strength and endurance. I might not have tried the class if I had not been encouraged by my husband, my family, and my knowledge of the National Federation of the Blind. The members do not let blindness stop them from full participation in life. We realize that blindness is just a physical nuisance, not a barrier that keeps us from acquiring whatever skill captures our imagination.

"As you take in a deep breath, stretch both arms as far as you can toward the ceiling," Barb says. "Now push this good air into your heart, and we are done."

Blind Seniors Never Stop Learning

by Dawn Turco

Editor's note: The following presentation was given at the 2009 NFBSD meeting in Detroit.

Dawn began by asking how many of us in the room were familiar with the Hadley School for the blind. Many were and quite a few had taken classes.

She said that the school had been started by a blind senior so she thought we would enjoy a short history of the school's beginning.

The school began in 1920, and up till now, it is the only distance learning school for the blind.

Our founder, Mr. Hadley, had been a teacher in the Chicago area, but had gone blind suddenly from the flu.

For some time he sat with his chin on his chest, but he missed reading so much that he got up the courage and taught himself Braille. Back in 1920 there were no services for the blind, so he invented them for himself.

One afternoon he was sitting on his porch chatting with a doctor friend. He said how much he missed teaching. The wise doctor asked why he did not start teaching again. Chicago was at that time the center of distance education. It was the center because trains went in and out of Chicago in all directions. So, Mr. Hadley simply extended the concept of learning at home to include blind persons. How lucky the blind were then and now!

As soon as this correspondence school concept for the blind was becoming a tangible reality, Mr. Hadley learned of a woman in Ohio who had just lost her sight. She desperately wanted to continue reading to her children. So, she became the first distance education student who attended the Hadley School for the Blind.

There was no turning back after that. Learning Braille through the mail worked. Word spread quickly so Mr. Hadley was working full-time out of his house.

Now, 90 years later, the school serves ten thousand students annually. The school serves all 50 states and 130 foreign countries. The school serves all students free of charge.

If you hadn't taken a Hadley course and you are a bit nervous about going back to school, put your fears aside and give the school a chance. If you find it is simply not for you, all you have to do is notify the school that you do not wish to continue.

Just for fun, the school noted that during the last school year, 249 students were served over the age of 80.

Although students work at home by themselves, they all have an instructor. The teacher can be contacted by simply calling an 800 number. Also, if lessons are not completed in a timely manner, the student will receive a gentle nudge from the teacher. This works well for the student and the school.

Of course, now course work can be accessed in Braille, large print and on tape. For those who wish, the internet can be used to receive and send learning materials and completed lessons.

The school still offers Braille but now there are 12 courses, and the school offers Braille for transcribers, parents of blind children, family members and other sighted persons wishing to learn.

The school has courses to interest anyone. Besides Braille and academic courses there are classes in learning chess, yoga, and all kinds of courses in learning computer technology. There are over 100 different subjects from which to choose. So, come and join all those other blind folks who are expanding their knowledge and enjoying themselves at the same time.

Fading Memories

By Nancy Scott

Editor's note: the following is from the NFB Writers Division Newsletter.

The writing exercise from Abigail Thomas's book Thinking About Memoirs immediately pulled a partial experience into my brain. "Write two pages about a fading memory."

I was in high school, perhaps in my junior year. There was a fund-raiser (for the band? the football team?). We were asked to buy carnations. I bought one (I don't remember the cost).

Someone brought it to my homeroom desk--you know, the chair with the wide arm. I secured the big, straight pin to my (probably) white blouse on the left-hand side.

I mostly remember the spicy scent that smelled like possibility and a difference from routine. It floated into the air every time I moved. It lasted all morning. I only recall the movement and the giddy promise.

But why has that scent and that emotion stayed, without the rest of the day? Why did Thomas's prompt instantly trigger that moment? And why do I almost know it happened in Spring?

I have long thought of Spring as intriguingly lighter air and hopefulness. Did that belief stem from one carnation?

There are other candidates for fading memories. I remember teaching other kids to play chopsticks, but who taught me?

Or what was in my bedroom when I was 10? I had the room with the attic entrance. I remember one carpet not quite covering a grooved, wooden floor. I know there were finger niches for desk drawer handles, because I hid tootsie rolls in the drawers. But did the single bed have a headboard?

But how can I reach back for more? How specific or word-oriented must memory prompts be? How intuitive or emotionally charged is my process? For instance, the strong carnation evocation would never have come had someone said "Think of the 1970's" or even "Think of a high-school homeroom."

How does your memory sift your past? What kind of prompts work for you?

So Where Did You Get that Spoon?

by Pat Munson

In the late 30's, my father and some of his fellow workers bought out 120 acres of wooded land about 90 miles north of San Francisco, California. Each family could build one cabin, there were 11, and could use the 1885 farmhouse by the county road.

I was born after our cabin was built by my father and grandfather. But, during World War Two, my mother and I spent most of the summer with the other wives and children in the farmhouse we called the big house. The fathers had to stay in the city to work; they were too old to serve in the military.

The house was called the big house because it had 3 bedrooms. Never mind that it did not have a bathroom. One had to walk outside down a path for about a block. It had to be that far away because it did not smell nice at all; those of you who have used these facilities know of what I speak. The only running water was in the kitchen sink; there was only hot water when the wood-burning stove was going. There was a washhouse, but it was out the back door across a yard and up some steps. Oh, one washed the clothes by hand. We had no electricity. For a little kid, like me, this was paradise!

As more people showed up to spend time at the big house, they brought prepared food from home in pots and brought extra dishes, forks and other needed items.

When I was about 10, the big house had been torn down. Everyone decided the house was beyond repair and a fire trap! The kids were very sad, because kids like places where they can play all together and have lots of fun. But, the house went!

Before its end, people were invited to take dishes, pots and pans, and you name it! Many people had brought items but had never taken them home with them.

Now almost sixty years later, let me describe some of the items that made their way down to our cabin. Oh, by the way, my husband and I inherited the cabin about thirty years ago.

The most treasured item is the ugliest covered roasting pan you could imagine. It has double-walled sides and a lid with a golf ball-sized dent in it. Someone must have hit the lid with a very large hammer because the pan and lid are very sturdy. But, I would not give up this roaster for any money in the world. It roasts like no other pan I have used! It is navy blue with white spots and on its sides is written in block raised print the word savory!

Another item I treasure, but only use for display is an old tea kettle. The interesting aspect of this item is that it has a narrower bottom which would fit down into a wood-burning stove. It would heat the water faster. It would, that is, if one were successful in making a good fire!

One more object I use for window sill decoration is a one-cup metal coffee pot. It is very cute, but has many dents. I do not know its origin or history!

Oh, while I'm talking about items used on the wood stove, how about those irons? They were heated on the top of the stove, not too hot or the clothes changed color, but one had to have at least two irons; one would be in use while the other was heating.

How about plates, soup bowls, and a water pitcher! I have two soup bowls and four salad plates from my mother's uncle Dan's long-broken set. The soup bowls are my very favorite; the bowl is in the center with a nice wide rim around the edge. I had one dinner plate from my teen years; I believe it had leaves on it, but I broke it some time back. Most of the dinner plates are gone because they broke too easily. In one cabinet are 3 platters which match nothing else. One is rectangular with a fluted edge. The other 2 have chips, but I cannot bring myself to toss them! I remember sitting outside the cabin squeezing real oranges into the pitcher. We all enjoyed the fresh juice for breakfast.

Finally, let's look in the silverware and knife drawer. The knives are not very interesting for their history, but one fork must have been used to grab olives or other small items in a tall jar. The most interesting of the spoons is one which is used to spoon gravy. It has a wide bowl with a slightly bent handle for easy use! The one item which will not fit in a drawer is the wooden potato masher It is solid wood but looks like a jar with a handle at one end; it does mash very well. Oh, back to knives; one paring knife is never dull and has a strong wooden handle. There are several very large heavy knives I slightly remember being used to chop up a whole freshly killed chicken. I took no part in the activity, but was happy to eat dinner that night!

So, there you have it! These are just a few of the treasures still hanging around at my cabin. How many do you have and where did they come from?

This and That

The following comes from Paul Dressell, our treasurer.  He is remembering one of our most lively and tenacious members.  Virginia Mann became blind later in life but it never stopped. Her.

Virginia Mann

By Paul Dressell

As many of us experience seniorhood, we try to resist being classified as "elderly," "seniors," or moving into our "golden years." What impressed me about Virginia Mann is that she didn't experience any of these "hang-ups." Virginia, who passed away January 16, 2010,  experienced both of these events (blindness and seniorhood)virtually at the same time. She reacted with grace and confidence. Several of us attempted to lead the senior division with varying degrees of mediocrity. In Virginia's first year as division president, we put on a possibilities fair and won the 2005 division award.

While we feel sadness that Virginia is no longer with us, we can draw strength from her example of dogged determination to work for the betterment of us all.

What a difference a sad event in someone's life makes.
GEORGE CARLIN

Isn't it amazing that George Carlin - comedian of the 70's and 80's - could
write something so very eloquent...and so very appropriate.

A Message by George Carlin:

The paradox of our time in history is that we have taller buildings but
shorter tempers, wider Freeways, but narrower viewpoints. We spend more, but
have less, we buy more, but enjoy less. We have bigger houses and smaller
families, more conveniences, but less time. We have more degrees but less
sense, more knowledge, but less judgment, more experts, yet more problems,
more medicine, but less wellness.

We drink too much, smoke too much, spend too recklessly, laugh too little,
drive too fast, get too angry, stay up too late, get up too tired, read too
little, watch TV too much, and pray too seldom.

We have multiplied our possessions, but reduced our values. We talk too
much, love too seldom, and hate too often.

We've learned how to make a living, but not a life. We've added years to
life not life to years. We've been all the way to the moon and back, but
have trouble crossing the street to meet a new neighbor. We conquered outer
space but not inner space. We've done larger things, but not better things.

We've cleaned up the air, but polluted the soul. We've conquered the atom,
but not our prejudice. We write more, but learn less. We plan more, but
accomplish less. We've learned to rush, but not to wait. We build more
computers to hold more information, to produce more copies than ever, but we
communicate less and less.

These are the times of fast foods and slow digestion, big men and small
character, steep profits and shallow relationships. These are the days of
two incomes but more divorce, fancier houses, but broken homes. These are
days of quick trips, disposable diapers, throwaway morality, one night
stands, overweight bodies, and pills that do everything from cheer, to
quiet, to kill. It is a time when there is much in the showroom window and
nothing in the stockroom. A time when technology can bring this letter to
you, and a time when you can choose either to share this insight, or to just
hit delete...

Remember; spend some time with your loved ones, because they are not going
to be around forever.

Remember, say a kind word to someone who looks up to you in awe, because
that little person soon will grow up and leave your side.

Remember, to give a warm hug to the one next to you, because that is the
only treasure you can give with your heart and it doesn't cost a cent.

Remember, to say, 'I love you' to your partner and your loved ones, but most
of all mean it. A kiss and an embrace will mend hurt when it comes from deep
inside of you.

Remember to hold hands and cherish the moment for someday that person will
not be there again.

Give time to love, give time to speak! And give time to share the precious
thoughts in your mind.

AND ALWAYS REMEMBER:

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments
that take our breath away.

If you don't send this to at least 8 people....Who cares?

George Carlin

xxx

MURPHY'S OTHER 15 LAWS

1. Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

2. A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

3. He, who laughs last, thinks slowest.

4. A day without sunshine is like, well, night.

5. Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.

6. Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

7. Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

8. The 50-50-90 rule: Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

9. It is said that if you line up all the cars in the world end-to-end, someone would be stupid enough to try to pass them.

10. If the shoe fits, get another one just like it.

11. The things that come to those that wait, may be the things left by those, who got there first.

12. Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat all day drinking beer.

13. Flashlight: A case for holding dead batteries.

14. The shin bone is a device for finding furniture in the dark.

15. When you go into court, you are putting yourself in the hands of twelve people, all of whom who weren't smart enough to get out of jury duty.

Another e-mail sent by Paul Dressell, our treasurer.

Don't tell me your age; you'd probably lie anyway-but the Hershey Man will
 know!
 YOUR AGE BY CHOCOLATE MATH
This is pretty neat.
DON'T CHEAT BY SCROLLING DOWN FIRST!
 It takes less than a minute .
 Work this out as you read .
 Be sure you don't read the bottom until you've worked it out!
 This is not one of those waste of time things, it's fun.
 1. First of all, pick the number of times a week that you would like to
 have chocolate (more than once but less than 10)
 2. Multiply this number by 2 (just to be bold)
 3. Add 5
 4. Multiply it by 50 -- I'll wait while you get the calculator
 5. If you have already had your birthday this year add 1760 .
 If you haven't, add 1759.
 6.. Now subtract the four digit year that you were born.
 You should have a three digit number
 The first digit of this was your original number
 (i.e., how many times you want to have chocolate each week).
 The next two numbers are
  YOUR AGE! (Oh YES, it is!!!!!)
THIS IS THE ONLY YEAR (2010) IT WILL EVER WORK,
 SO SPREAD IT AROUND WHILE IT LASTS.

The end