[Nfb-seniors] NBP-Announce: New! Enter to win a luggage locator when you order "Sites Unseen: Traveling the World Without Sight

Tony Grima agrima at nbp.org
Wed Sep 22 15:36:00 UTC 2010

Read on to learn how to enter our drawing to win a free luggage locator
from National Braille Press!

Three years ago, Wendy David approached NBP with a book idea. "Every
time I leave on another trip to some exotic location," says David,
"blind friends and acquaintances pepper me with questions: 'How do you
get around countries with no public transportation? How do you deal with
different types and sizes of currency? How do you travel overseas with a
guide dog? Who describes the unique sights to you?' I realize I could
write a book that helps people decide where to go, when to go, and how
best to get there. There are hundreds of accessible travel websites and
social networks; people just don't know about them. I could include tips
for navigating busy airports, sleeping overnight on trains, enjoying
today's more comfortable bus lines, selecting a theme-based cruise,
using accessible GPS, and more."

And that's exactly what Wendy did. To our knowledge, "Sites Unseen:
Traveling the World Without Sight" is the only book of its kind,
dedicated to blind travelers. Here's what one reader had to say:

"Hello Wendy.

"This is just a short note to tell you how much I appreciated your book.
It is full of wonderful suggestions!

"I have done a great deal of travel -- some business when giving
lectures in psychology and religion or when running for the U.S. House
of Representatives, and some pleasure. Most of this travel was with
sighted companions, staff, or my wife of 35 years.

"Pam and I are planning to go to Bermuda in September and down the Nile
in Egypt in November. Your book has inspired me to be somewhat more
adventurous and independent on these trips-to-come.

"So I come to my question. When a blind person goes to a swimming pool
or the beach by him or herself, after swimming, how do you find your way
back to the chair that has your clothes on it? I just ordered an
electronic locator. Is this the time to use such a device? Your advice
on this will be appreciated.

"Thank you again for your remarkable book, packed with your highly
developed common sense, your autonomous spirit, your sense of humor, and
your creative vision.

"Wendy, to many successful journeys in your future,

"Rabbi Dennis G. Shulman, Ph.D.
Clinical Psychologist/Psychoanalyst"

Stay tuned for Wendy's answer in a future elist blast. Meanwhile, we are
running a raffle to win an electronic locator - read all about it here:
http://www.sightconnection.com/luggagelocator1.html
Just order "Sites Unseen: Traveling the World Without Sight" in any
format before October 15th, and you'll be entered to win one of four
luggage locators. We'll draw 1 name each Monday for four weeks, starting
September 27th.

With this book, you can travel the world with confidence.
Available in braille, eBraille, accessible PDF, and DAISY
(text-to-speech audio).

Note: The PDF version of this book is fully accessible and
hyperlink-enabled (there are over 200 online resources specifically
geared to blind and disabled travelers). This is our "green" alternative

to offering a print version of the book. You can purchase this and
print it out, or read it on your computer.

You can order "Sites Unseen" (for $19.95) from National Braille Press
at:
http://www.nbp.org/ic/nbp/TRAVEL.html

******
To order any books, send payment to:
NBP, 88 St. Stephen Street, Boston, MA 02115-4302
Or call and charge it: toll-free (800) 548-7323 or (617) 266-6160 ext
20. Or order any of our books online at
http://www.nbp.org/ic/nbp/publications/index.html