[Nfb-seniors] Help needed for student project on improving indoor navigation

Maurice Peret mperet at BISM.org
Thu Apr 4 19:54:28 UTC 2013

Dear Steph,

Please pass along my brief comments as you might deam appropriate. My immediate hunch is based on my informed perspective and personal experience both as a blind consumer as well as a blindness professional. The main objective for navigating indoors, besides getting outdoors as soon as is feasibly possible, is to learn to navigate these environments in as similar a fashion as anyone else. I don't really know of anybody who makes great use of a navigational system in any indoor area except for visually reading video display screenes or tactually reading raised line maps in shopping malls or in airports or large hospitals. The idea is to employ problem solving strategies commensurate with an individual's ability to do so. If we get to such a point in working with a blind person where the need for some sort of technological solution becomes necessary, it seems to me that there are likely other contributing factors to consider which could require any number of ideas to address the challenge. Otherwise, a good old fashioned long white cane or dog guide has usually been sufficient to encourage the development of combined skill mastery and confidence to travel pretty much anywhere the blind person might wish. To be sure, there are a number of systems and devices that have already been invented and marketed out there which your graduate student should be encouraged to investigate. It might be revealing how many of these solutions have fallen by the wayside. The problem with working on such a research project is that it might prove quite helpful but likely only for such a small sample of the blind population as to render its development and marketing unproductive.

Having said all of that, I believe there is plenty of room to consider viable technological solutions for deafblind or otherwise cognitively or developmentally delayed individuals. I would be perfectly happy to offer my mouth and ear for an interview:

Maurice Peret
MauricePeret at gmail.com
804.928.4015

-----Original Message-----
From: Nfb-seniors [mailto:nfb-seniors-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of Stephanie Ludi
Sent: Thursday, April 04, 2013 3:29 PM
To: nfb-seniors at nfbnet.org
Subject: [Nfb-seniors] Help needed for student project on improving indoor navigation

Hello,

I apologize for posting to multiple lists.  I am visually impaired myself, and I also do research to support others in various ways such as in school and using technology.

I have a graduate student who is started his research in improving indoor navigation for the blind and I need him to understand the issues, concerns, and needs that adults who are blind have when traveling indoors.  I have appended his email below, and I appreciate any help you can offer.

Thanks you,
--Steph

His message:
Hello,

I am a graduate student from the Rochester Institute of Technology in Rochester, NY, working with Dr. Stephanie Ludi.  I am working on research to enhance indoor navigation by the blind through the use of assistive technology. As a part of my research, I need to better understand the real world issues and perspectives by adults who are blind whether navigating within familiar or unfamiliar buildings.  I am looking to interview 15 adults who are blind or legally blind, and who use either a cane or guide dog.

Interviews should take between 30-40 minutes over phone or Skype.

If interested, please contact us if you're interested in participating, or if you have any questions at akhnaifer at gmail.com.  Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you