[Nfb-seniors] Cooking?

Dianne Hemphill diannehemphill at cox.net
Fri Nov 7 15:06:07 UTC 2014

Hi Linda - could you give us an idea of your most  challenging  cooking concerns?? Also, are there problems/concerns with measuring or cutting foods? Do you use a gas or electric or convection? flat top. dials or touch screen? If for example you use a flat screen such as I have on my microwave, I had a sighted daughter place a small piece of tape on the number pad and small dots on the start, stop, etc...not necessarily everything, just the things I use on a regular basis. On my stove top, however, I have dials that I know by clicks on positions going clockwise, for example. And though my oven has a flat screen for on/off and temp, it has 2 rows of  3 little raised buttons  which I know placement for its function. For the temp, for example, I know that I press the upper middle button which means I'm turning on the oven. The first press after that automatically goes to 350 degees and for each press  thereafter I can raise or lower the temp by 5 degrees. I've never used gas but people who are used to it say it's fast and easy to manage the flame.

I made pumpkin bread last night and arranged all my utensils and nested measuring cups before starting. I pour the oil over the sink for any overflows but have heard others say they have oil and other wet items in bowls that they can then dip out of.  I use the stick a knife in the bread and run my fingers across it after I take it out to test for doneness...if there is a little too much wetness, I'll place the bread back into the oven for a minute or two and then retest. I like using a flexible hand mitt with sylicone strips on one hand and a flat pot holder that is both flexible and with sylicone strips  This may all be the wrong info for you so please let us know what's causing your biggest challenges. Dianne