[Nfb-seniors] Cooking?

Valerie rosetta at adam.com.au
Fri Nov 7 19:57:58 UTC 2014

Hello Linda,  just to add onto all the good suggestions so far, having facilitated a cooking group for blind people, I had started it up because I was so frustrated with cooking when I first lost my sight.  I found with all our members, that we did  have different ideas as to what we felt comfortable or wanted to cook in the kitchen.   We had people who were more adventurous and others who were very content to add a few extras to their basic  menus, but ultimately, we were all cooking!  I make all our bread, make pizza from scratch, cook for family and friends, you can tell I love cooking.  I use a lot of cup and spoon measures, use rubber bands to mark different items, large wide bands, thin bands, use the pen friend as well use different type containers for many flours.  Some of the oil bottles here have kind of shake out pourers so that makes it easier for sloshing just a little into a pan.  The slow cooker is a great way to cook many meals, I have that out at the moment with the hot weather starting here, it's a cooler way of cooking with no hot oven blasting away.

Cheers from Aus. Valerie