[Nfb-seniors] NFBN Senior division - October Meeting Reminder - Guest welcome

Robert Leslie Newman robertleslienewman at gmail.com
Sat Oct 7 11:24:40 UTC 2017

Hi you all

RE: Notice of our October meeting! - 2 days away!

(Visitors are welcome)

Contents of this message:

*When and how to get on the call

*Agenda

*Minutes from our last meeting; pasted in below

*The NFB Pledge

*#1 When and How to Get On the Call:

Date: Monday October 9th

Time: 6:00 MT, 7:00 CT

Phone: 1-712-451-0011

Access Code: 345154Pound

*#2 Agenda:

-First- Come-to-order, say our NFB pledge; Robert will present

-Second- secretary & treasurers Reports Will be given

-OLD BUSINESS:

-Membership- do make calls to past members who have not joined us during
recent meetings. And/or think of someone new to call and invite to join us
for this or next month's meeting.

-Any new ideas for finding people who need us?

-Anything you may bring

-Announce who will receive our convention scholarship

-We discuss and finish up our plans for the Division meeting we will hold at
the 2017 state convention; convention starts Friday, Oct. 13, our meeting is
Saturday morning, the 14th, and on Sunday, after a morning session
convention ends.

--NEW BUSINESS:

-Anything you may bring

*#3 Philosophical Discussion: What is the benefit of attending convention?
And if you are a longtime convention goer, how do you continue to benefit
from attending?

--Finally- Brags & Drags

--Adjournment

*#4 NFB Pledge:

 I pledge to participate actively in the efforts of the National

Federation of the Blind to achieve equality, opportunity, and security for
the blind; to support the policies and programs of the Federation; and to
abide by its constitution.

**Minutes from last meeting:

NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND OF NEBRASKA SENIOR DIVISION

MEETING MINUTES

Monday, September 11, 2017

The NFBN Senior Division met by telephone conference on Monday, September
11, 2017. President Robert Newman called the meeting to order at 7:00 PM
CDT. Members present were: President Robert Newman, Vice President Barbara
Loos, Secretary Linda Mentink, Treasurer Cheryl Livingston, Board Member
Nancy Oltman, Gina Finnell, Walt Hively, Geralyn Konruff, and Brad Loos.
Guests were Michael Jones and Gerri Whitlow.

Linda recited the NFB Pledge. Robert will recite it next month.

Linda read the August meeting minutes. Barbara moved, Nancy seconded, that
we adopt them. The motion carried.

Cheryl read the Treasurer's report as follows:

Treasurer's Report-Senior Division

September 11, 2017

Beginning Balance Aug 14, 2017 $1073.53

Expenses

PAC plan for September $ 15.00

Deposits

None

Ending Balance September 11, 2017 $1058.53

Respectfully submitted,

Cheryl Livingston, Treasurer

Robert asked if we had raised our PAC. We did that earlier this year. He
wondered if we are happy with it, and we said we are.

Barbara moved, Nancy seconded, that we accept the Treasurer's report. The
motion carried.

Gerri is interested in joining the division. Cheryl will send her contact
information and dues amount to our listserv.

OLD BUSINESS.

Barbara will be going to the Mobility Management statewide transportation
committee meeting Thursday. She sent to our listserv the two websites for
people to check out to see whether or not they work for us. She has been
going through the list with members of our affiliate to make sure that all
the entities listed with the Department of Roads in Nebraska really are
providing transportation, and that the numbers listed are working. She is
happy to have any information about transportation providers.

Gina mentioned a couple in Alliance. Mike gave her the number he has for
Dash-About; it may be different than the one she has. Geralyn mentioned that
LYFT is now in Nebraska, and she is a driver. Mike mentioned Go Go
Grandparent.

NEW BUSINESS. Information on the upcoming state convention is not out yet.
Cheryl reported that the online preregistration is being worked on, and that
there would be a bus picking attendees up in Omaha, Lincoln, Columbus, and
possibly York, for $70 per person.

There will be a luncheon on Friday for $15. The banquet will be

Saturday night for $45, and there will be a box lunch available on Sunday
for $15. The preregistration fee is $20.

The agenda is not out yet, but Barbara and others are hoping that Do You
Dream in Color will be shown some time during the convention. We will do the
"fit breaks" again this year.

We discussed giving financial assistance to someone again this year, and
agreed that we should. The total cost will be somewhere around $345. Anyone
interested will contact Robert, and he will negotiate. Robert will put the
notice out.

We will sell clickers again. Robert will get 100. We still have some left
from last year.

Robert, Nancy and Barbara will do the "fit breaks." Robert will ask Anil
Lewis to speak during our convention Division meeting.

PHILOSOPHICAL DISCUSSION: We talked about preparedness for natural
disasters. We should be proactive if possible, and have a plan in place.
Some communities already have help available if one wants to be on their
list, but it is not mandatory.

BRAGS AND DRAGS: Linda mentioned that she is in a lot of pain from a knot in
her back.

Robert said that Bonnie is in the hospital right now with Pneumonia, so her
chemo treatments are on hold.

Barbara asked Gina how she was doing. She said she will get her cast off
Wednesday, and they will put a Velcro brace on, which she will wear for a
couple weeks.

Nancy moved, many seconded, that the meeting be adjourned. The motion
carried, and the meeting adjourned at 8:28.

Respectfully submitted,

Linda Mentink, Secretary