[Nfb-seniors] NFBN Senior Division April Meeting - TONIGHT! A Special Guest - Visitors Welcome

Robert Leslie Newman robertleslienewman at gmail.com
Mon Apr 9 16:55:24 UTC 2018

Hi you all

RE: Our meeting for April is TONIGHT!

Guests are welcome

Contents of this message:

*When and how to get on the call

*Agenda

*Minutes from our last meeting; Minutes and treasurer's report are pasted in
below

*The NFB Pledge

*#1 When and How to Get On the Call:

Date: Monday April 9th

Time: 6:00 MT, 7:00 CT

Phone: 1-712-451-0011

Access Code: 345154Pound

*#2 Agenda:

-First- Come-to-order, say our NFB pledge (Presenter Chris)

*Second- A special guest! Robert Burns (not the writer, but the blind lawyer
- financial planner: He will talk to us about several of the important legal
and financial considerations that a person who is nearing retirement and/or
are into that stage in life should have in place, and why. He is and has
been an active member of both the Omaha Chapter, and our affiliate for
decades.

-Third- secretary & treasurers Reports Will be given

--OLD BUSINESS:

-Membership- do make calls to past members who have not joined us during
recent meetings. And/or think of someone new to call and invite to join us
for this or next month's meeting.

-Any new ideas for finding people who need us?

-More talk about our program on RTBS

-Getting our reports out to our non-computer members; this month four of our
members were sent one of our remaining NLS type recordings. Further news
will be presented on an alternative recording package.

-Anything else you may bring

--NEW BUSINESS:

-News about our upcoming Walk for Independence

-Anything you may bring

--Finally- Brags & Drags

--Adjournment

*#4 NFB Pledge:

 I pledge to participate actively in the efforts of the National

Federation of the Blind to achieve equality, opportunity, and security for
the blind; to support the policies and programs of the Federation; and to
abide by its constitution.

*#3 **Minutes from last month: NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND OF NEBRASKA
SENIOR DIVISION MEETING MINUTES

Monday, March 12, 2018

The NFBN Senior Division met by telephone conference on Monday, March 12,
2018. President Robert Newman called the meeting to order at 7:00 PM CDT.
Members present were: President Robert Newman; Vice President Barbara Loos;
Secretary Linda Mentink; Treasurer Cheryl Livingston; Board Member Nancy
Oltman; Chris Boone, Gina Finnell, Walt Hively, Geralynn Konruff, Brad Loos,
Steve Senteney, and Gerri Whitlow. Guests were: Jim Babb and Peggy Chong
from New Mexico, Della Johnston from Nebraska, and Dianne Hemphill and Rob
Tabor from Kansas.

Cheryl recited the NFB Pledge. Chris will recite it next month.

Peggy Chong, the blind History Lady, was our guest speaker. She became
interested in the history of blind people when cleaning out the NFB of
Minnesota files. She shared many stories of blind people from her
collection, most from Nebraska. Della suggested that Peggy come back and
share more, which she will be happy to do in a few months.

Linda read the February minutes. Barbara moved, Chris seconded, that we
approve the minutes as read. The motion carried.

Cheryl read the Treasurer's Report as follows:

Treasurer's Report-Senior Division

March 12, 2018

Beginning Balance February 11, 2018 $1026.82

Expenses

PAC plan for March $ 15.00

Total expenses $ 15.00

Deposits

None

Ending Balance March 12 $1011.82

Respectfully submitted,

Cheryl Livingston, Treasurer

Gina moved, Nancy seconded, that we accept the Treasurer's Report. The
motion carried.

After a short discussion about the problem of lost cartridges, Chris moved
and Linda seconded that we purchase four or five thumb drives and envelopes
like those used for the Braille Monitor. The motion carried.

Chris reported that the Legislative Breakfast is Friday the 23rd of March
from 7:30 to 10:30 AM. The purpose is to walk around and talk about our
Disabled Parents' Rights bill. She asked that those who will be able to come
let her know. There is a lot of support from other Nebraska organizations.

Barbara mentioned that they will be having a screening of "Do You Dream in
Color?" from 7 to 9 that evening at their church, Grace Chapel, on 40th and
Sheridan Boulevard. Following thedocumentary, there will be discussion and
refreshments. The following night, the 24th, they have a chapter fund-raiser
of the Lincoln Stars Hockey Game. Tickets are $18, and they need to know by
the 17th.

BRAGS AND DRAGS. Following the reading of the minutes, Robert asked Linda
about her little dog. She has a lesion between two vertebrae from jumping up
and down all these years, and is having acupuncture treatments to help her
back legs.

Chris said that she went to Washington Seminar. Senator Deb Fischer has
co-sponsored the Affordable Technology Act. Representative Jeff Fortenbury
has co-sponsored the Accessible Instructional Materials in Higher Education
Act. He voted "no" for HR-620. They saw all of our people this time. Senator
Sasse has not been willing to co-sponsor the Accessible Instructional
Materials in Higher Education Act. She urged us to call him about this, and
to call Deb Fisher and thank her.

Robert asked, but no one had any ideas for guest speakers.

Barbara asked, and Robert said that there is nothing new concerning RTBS. He
is still gathering material to work with, and is struggling a little bit
with the editing software.

Gina moved, Chris seconded, that we shut it down. The motion carried, and we
adjourned at 8:41 PM.

Respectfully submitted,

Linda Mentink, Secretary

** treasurer's Report:

Treasurer's Report-Senior Division

April 9, 2018

Beginning Balance  Mar 12, 2018                     $1001.82

Correction to account after reconciling

Bank statements with check register                $      5.00

Corrected bank balance                                       $1006.82

Expenses

PAC plan for                                                            $
15.00

Total expenses                                                        $
15.00

Deposits

None

Ending Balance March 12