[Nfb-seniors] NFB of Nebraska Senior division August Meeting- Monday the 13th - Guest Aloma Bouma, blind with Masters Degree in gerontology - Guest Welcome

Robert Leslie Newman robertleslienewman at gmail.com
Fri Aug 3 14:31:15 UTC 2018

Hi you all

RE: Our meeting for August is two Monday's away, the 13th

Guests are welcome

Contents of this message:

*When and how to get on the call

*Agenda

*Minutes from our last meeting; Minutes are pasted in below

*The NFB Pledge

*#1 When and How to Get On the Call:

Date: August 13th

Time: 6:00 MT, 7:00 CT

Phone: 1-712-451-0011

Access Code: 345154Pound

*#2 Agenda:

-First- Come-to-order, say our NFB pledge (Nancy is our Presenter)

*Second- A presentation from our special guest-

-Third- secretary & treasurers Reports Will be given

--OLD BUSINESS:

-Membership- do make calls to past members who have not joined us during
recent meetings. And/or think of someone new to call and invite to join us
for this or next month's meeting.

-Any new ideas for finding people who need us?

-News about the success of our recent Walk for Independence

-Any news about the recent posting of our Division's offer of a convention
financial scholarship; any enquiries

-Anything else you may bring

--NEW BUSINESS:

-Anything you may bring

--Finally- Brags & Drags

--Adjournment

*#3 NFB Pledge:

 I pledge to participate actively in the efforts of the National

Federation of the Blind to achieve equality, opportunity, and security for
the blind; to support the policies and programs of the Federation; and to
abide by its constitution.

*#4 Minutes from last month:

NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND OF NEBRASKA SENIOR DIVISION MEETING MINUTES

Monday, June 11, 2018

The NFBN Senior Division met by telephone conference Monday, June 11, 2018.
In the absence of President Robert Newman, Vice President Barbara Loos
facilitated the meeting. She called the meeting to order at 7:00 PM CDT.
Members present were: Vice President Barbara Loos, Treasurer Cheryl
Livingston, Board Member Nancy Oltman, Gina Finnell, Walt Hively, Geralynn
Konruff, Brad Loos, Steve Senteney, Gerri Whitlow, and Gwynne Widhalm. Our
only guest was Aloma Bouma from Maryland.

Gwynne recited the NFB Pledge. Nancy will recite it in August.

In the absence of Secretary Linda Mentink, Barbara read the May meeting
minutes. Geralynn moved, Cheryl seconded, that the minutes be approved as
read. The motion carried.

Cheryl read the Treasurer's Report as follows:

Treasurer's Report-Senior Division

June 11, 2018

Beginning Balance May 11, 2018 $1423.32

Expenses

PAC plan for June $ 15.00

Total expenses $ 15.00

Deposits

None

Ending Balance June 11, 2018 $1408.32

Respectfully submitted,

Cheryl Livingston, Treasurer

Nancy moved, Gwynne seconded, that we accept the Treasurer's Report. The
motion carried.

Barbara reported that nobody has contacted Robert yet asking for financial
assistance for the state convention.

She asked Cheryl if she knew how much money was raised for the Walk for
Independence. Cheryl said it's maybe a little over $2900.

Barbara asked Aloma if she will be available August 13 to talk to us. She
said she would. She will talk about aging from the perspective of a
professional with a masters degree in gerontology.

In Chris' absence, Aloma led our discussion about traveling as a blind
person, both in this country and abroad. Most of the discussion was about
flying. Topics included having an accessible itinerary as well as a print
copy, finding the right gate, locating and identifying luggage, knowing
luggage size and weight regulations, where to put canes, and whether to
preboard or not. She shared some funny personal travel stories.

BRAGS AND DRAGS. Brad said that his daughter Emma is getting married on the
27th of July.

Barbara said that between the 4th and 8th of August their oldest grandson
and his dad are coming there to visit as part of his high school graduation
trip.

Aloma asked who was going to Orlando. There's a woman in Baltimore who is
newly totally blind, and has no skills yet. She's going, and Aloma would
like her to meet others. She'd like those going to think about whether they
could take her to the first timers' meeting and the Human Services meeting.

Nancy now has an iPhone 8. She has questions about how to do some things
that are different from the 5S.

Gina had a drag: the guy that sits next to her in dialysis passed away. They
thought he was the healthiest one in their group.

There were still five minutes left, so Barbara said that Aloma could share
another story.

Gina moved, Nancy seconded, that we adjourn. The motion carried, and we
adjourned at 8:30 PM.

Respectfully submitted,

Linda Mentink, Secretary