[NFB-Seniors] not able to come to convention

Carol Braithwaite cwbraithwaite at bellsouth.net
Tue Jul 2 20:18:18 UTC 2019

Ruth, I am sorry to let you know at such a late date that I have decided not
to come to the national convention. I had to reach a decision over the
weekend and finally let my affiliate know today. I am just not in financial
shape to handle the expenses the location will entail-too many family needs
right now. I have asked Larscene Turk and Vivian Hawkins to fill in for me
at meetings. Larscene is our AL Senior Division's treasurer and a fundraiser
extraordinaire for our Magic City Chapter in Birmingham. He and his wife
Carolyn would be interested in attending the breakfast you are organizing.
Would you mind contacting him with details at 1-205-965-8186 (cell) or at
larscene at att.net?  The other person who will be attending meetings is Vivian
Hawkins, our secretary. She can be reached on her cell phone at
1-205-422-3311. Vivian is a bit hard of hearing. Both people are as gracious
in spirit as anyone you would ever meet. I hope it is a very successful
convention and that you enjoy it to the full.

Below is a short report about our Alabama Seniors Division activities since
last summer:

Dear National Seniors Division,

The NfB of Alabama Seniors Division has averaged 10 callers per monthly free
converence call meeting since last July. Topics discussed included voting
accessibility and procedures, use of the Jitterbug phones, the process for
supporting Alabama's Blind Parents Act and NfB's Affordable Accessible
Technology Act, the Social Security Administration's Able Savings Account,
and free and low-cost accessible TV apps and programming options, to name a
few. We have gained five new dues-paying members, bringing our total to
twelve. Our officers elected at our 2019 state convention are as follows:
president, Carol Braithwaite; vice-president, Joy Harris; secretary, Vivian
Hawkins; treasurer, Larscene Turk. We held a successful 50/50 raffle at the
state convention, adding $150 to our treasury. Our guest speaker at our
annual meeting was Vanessa Meadows, president of the Seniors Division of the
NFB of Georgia. We are so pleased to have two rehabilitation teachers from
the Alabama Department of Rehabilitation Services as two of our new
affiliate and division members. They have caught the vision of the
Federation and are working hard to incorporate it into their teaching
methods and to spread the news among their colleagues.

Respectfully yours,

Carol Braithwaite, NFBAL Seniors Division president