[NFB-Seniors] The White Cane - Here is super interesting information

Robert Leslie Newman robertleslienewman at gmail.com
Thu Oct 17 15:17:50 UTC 2019

The text below comes from a maker of canes for the blind. This is part of a
new, and lengthy discussion on the Chapter Presidents list. Take a read:

Good evening.

Great question and appropriate for yesterday's White Cane Safety Day. As the
owner of Custom Cane(since 2012), your question about the color of  a cane
has come up many times. I have spoken with several attorneys, researched
case law, and compared state laws before providing a response. I hope that
you find this information useful. Remember, we are so fortunate to have the
ability to even own a cane. In my travels and collaborations around the
world, a large population of the blind have never owned a cane because of
its expensive cost and/or lack of resources. We are fortunate to have such a
provision offered by the NFB -The Free White Cane program. At the end of my
write up, if you have the same passion to equip the blind with white canes
around the world, please check out the links at the end!

White cane Law.

            The white cane law's purpose is to protect pedestrians with
disabilities and has encompassed over the years to include the deaf, guide
dog users, walker users, wheel chair individuals, and anyone else with an
obvious disability.  Each state varies in their wording of the law. However,
the purpose is the same: Protect the rights of disabled pedestrians.

            Does the cane have to be white? No.  As you study the white cane
law in each state, most refer to a person  who is blind carrying either a
white cane or upright stick. Some laws just say cane. Some states say cane,
walker, guide dog, wheel chair with an obvious disability or impairment. For
example, here is Colorado's "white cane law"

"Colorado Revised Statute 42-4-808 says that "any pedestrian, other than a
person in a wheelchair, or any driver of a vehicle who approaches a person
who has an obviously apparent disability of blindness, deafness, or mobility
impairment shall immediately come to a full stop and take such precautions
before proceeding as are necessary to avoid an accident or injury to said
person. A disability shall be deemed to be obviously apparent if, by way of
example and without limitation, the person is using a cane or crutches, is
assisted by an assistance dog, as defined in section 24-34-803 (7), is being
assisted by another person, is in a wheelchair, or is walking with an
obvious physical impairment."

" :

For the sighted community, when a person is walking and using a long cane,
regardless of the color, and is using their mobility technique of swinging
the cane to and fro,

  It is obvious that the person is blind. If a person does not recognize
that, it will not matter what color a cane is, what color the dog's harness
is, and so forth. ]         So am I protected under the law if I use a cane
that has accented designs or is multi-colored?  Yes.  Again, the purpose of
the law is to protect and give rights to disabled pedestrians.  If you are
injured or hit by an oncoming vehicle, the color of your cane, dog harness,
or the type wheel chair you have is irrelevant.

             Notice this article written by
<http://www.visionaware.org/section.aspx?SectionID=133&TopicID=517&DocumentI
D=6007> Dona Sauerburger

"Does the Cane Have to Be White to Be Effective?

Canes for Outdoor Travel

When used properly, a cane can provide information and protection regardless
of its color-it does not have to be white to be effective. Most canes used
by blind people are white, but they are also available in red, black,
yellow, and blue.

Canes from AmbuTech are now available in several colors (Credit: AmbuTech.
Used with permission.)

The blind character portrayed by Al Pacino in the film "Scent of a Woman"
inspired the development of AmbuTech's solid black cane.

However, only a white cane identifies the user as a person who is blind or
has low vision. This can be an important consideration when crossing streets
and requesting information from store clerks, bus drivers, and the general
public. It's likely that people will be more willing to help if they realize
you're asking for information because you are blind or have low vision.

About "White Cane Laws"

Many people are under the impression that each state?s White Cane Law
contains a provision that requires drivers to stop for, and/or yield to,
pedestrians who are carrying white canes. This is not correct. The laws in
each state vary widely and drivers do not always reliably stop for
pedestrians who carry white canes.

When drivers see pedestrians who are carrying white canes:

1         Some states require that drivers yield.

2         Some states require drivers to come to a full stop.

3         Some states require only that drivers exercise caution when in the
presence of pedestrians with white canes.

4         Some states provide no special rights and protections to
pedestrians who are carrying white canes that are not provided to all
pedestrians.

Check your state's White Cane Law to determine the language that describes
driver and pedestrian rights and responsibilities."

Kustom Cane respects the thoughts and opinions of everyone.  Some  persons
insist on a white cane. Some prefer a predominantly white cane with little
embelishment. To some, it is not an issue.  However, as in all matters, it
is wise to speak  with a full researched  understanding rather than speaking
out of ignorance or presumptuousness. In fact, many of our canes are made
with reflective sign material. Thus, our black reflective cane is more
visible than a standard white cane at night! So, specific colors do not mean
increased safety.

Imagine living your life without a cane? Many in the world do not have the
privileges of going to school, work, shopping, visiting friends, or everyday
tasks that we do not even think twice about. The You Cane Give Initiative is
changing this! In our short time of existence(3 years), we have sent over
436 canes in 15 countries, 100 talking solar powered talking Bibles in the
person's native tongue, and provided mobility instruction. Check out our
links below for more information and ways to support:

 <http://www.YouCaneGive.org> www.YouCaneGive.org

Go Fund Me link:

https://www.gofundme.com/you-cane-give-tackling-the-white-cane-famine

PayPal link:

https://www.paypal.me/youcanegiveProgram

Amazon Smile link:

https://smile.amazon.com/ch/83-4173891

Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/category/Nonprofit-Organization/You-Cane-Give
-Initiative-1558518134229769/

YouTube link:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCr-VOyJg-h0m8U34muYGadg

Check out our video as we partnered with Aira in March:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6h3NqiqTrQ
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6h3NqiqTrQ&t=39s> &t=39s

In Africa, they call the shortage of white canes a White Cane Famine!
Together, we can empower the blind-one cane at a time!

James Alan Boehm  M.Ed, LPC-MHSP (Temp)

Contact Information
Phone: 901-483-1515
Personal Email: <mailto:jimmydagerman80 at gmail.com>
jimmydagerman80 at gmail.com
NFB Email: JBoehm at NFB-TN.org <mailto:JBoehm at NFB-TN.org>
Learning Ally: JBoehm at LearningAlly.org <mailto:JBoehm at LearningAlly.org>
Kustom Cane: kustomcane at gmail.com <mailto:kustomcane at gmail.com>
You Cane Give Initiative: YuCaneGive at gmail.com <mailto:YuCaneGive at gmail.com>

Embrace challenges for personal growth! Remember! Circumstances do not mean
sentences!

On Oct 16, 2019, at 7:04 PM, Mike Klimisch via Chapter-Presidents
<chapter-presidents at nfbnet.org <mailto:chapter-presidents at nfbnet.org> >
wrote:

Thought I would provoke some thought here since we are celebrating the white
cane awareness. Last summer at national convention in Vegas, I saw a little
bit of everything. Saw many dog guides and also saw canes of various colors.
Saw someone with an all black cane, someone with an all blue cane, even saw
someone with a lighted cane, and saw many folding or collapsible canes. My
question is, are the colored canes legal and should we be using them since
the law states white with or without a red tip. I believe the cane that were
various colors were made by Ambutech since they are the only ones I know of
that offer canes in various configurations. I'm not opposed to anyone using
a folding or telescoping cane so people can use whatever they prefer, just
the color thing sparked thoughts in my head.

--

Mike Klimisch
The Falls Chapter

phone 605 339-9207