[nfb-talk] LSAC Discriminates Against Blind Law School Applicants

Freeh, Jessica JFreeh at nfb.org
Fri Feb 20 19:06:22 UTC 2009

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CONTACT:

Chris Danielsen

Director of Public Relations

National Federation of the Blind

(410) 659-9314, extension 2330

(410) 262-1281 (Cell)
<mailto:cdanielsen at nfb.org>cdanielsen at nfb.org

LSAC Discriminates Against Blind Law School Applicants

National Federation of the Blind Sues Law School Admissions Council
for Inaccessible Web Site and LSAT Preparation Materials

Baltimore, Maryland (February 19, 2009): The National Federation of
the Blind, the nation's oldest and largest organization of blind
people; its California affiliate; and a blind law school applicant,
Deepa Goraya, are filing a lawsuit today against the Law School
Admissions Council (LSAC).  The complaint asserts that the LSAC, the
body that administers the Law School Admissions Test (which most
aspiring law students must take) and provides other services to law
schools and law school applicants, violates the California Disabled
Persons Act and the Unruh Act because its Web site (www.lsac.org) and
LSAT preparation materials are inaccessible to blind law school
applicants.  The plaintiffs have attempted to meet with the LSAC to
resolve the matter, but the LSAC canceled a planned meeting.

Blind people access Web sites on computers equipped with screen
access software that converts what is on the screen into synthesized
speech or Braille.  The keyboard is used instead of a mouse to
navigate the Web site and click on selected links or buttons. If a
Web site is improperly coded, however, blind computer users cannot
access the site.  Blind people can also use screen readers to access
certain kinds of electronic documents, including those in the popular
Portable Document Format (PDF).  However, if PDF files are not
properly "tagged," they cannot be used by the blind.  The LSAC Web
site contains accessibility barriers including improperly formatted
online forms, tables and charts that cannot be read by screen access
software, and faulty keyboard navigation support.  These access
barriers make it difficult or impossible for blind people to use the
Web site to register to take the LSAT, among other things.  The Web
site is also the only avenue for people to apply online to any law
school accredited by

the American Bar Association.  However, blind applicants cannot
submit their applications without sighted assistance because the
application forms are improperly formatted.  In addition, none of the
LSAT practice materials, which include previously administered
versions of the test that sighted people can obtain on the LSAC Web
site, are available in accessible electronic formats.

Dr. Marc Maurer, President of the National Federation of the Blind,
said: "The Internet is extremely useful to blind people, as well as
our sighted peers, when Web sites are properly formatted according to
well-established guidelines; there is no good reason for any Web site
offering goods and services to the public to be inaccessible to blind
people.  For too long, blind people have experienced barriers to
entering the legal profession, despite our long history of
demonstrated success in that field.  The National Federation of the
Blind will not sit quietly while the LSAC willfully refuses to
provide the same services to blind people seeking admission to law
school that it does to the sighted.  The LSAC is engaging in blatant
discrimination against the blind and we will not stand for it."

Deepa Goraya, a law school applicant and named plaintiff in the suit,
said: "Trying to use the LSAC Web site made the experience of
applying to law school a nightmare when it should have been as easy
for me as for anyone else.  I had to select and rely upon a reader
for over fifty hours to complete my law school applications.  Also,
none of the practice tests available on the Web site were
accessible.  I want the process of gaining admission to law school to
be easier for all blind people who are interested in entering this
noble profession, and I hope this action will achieve that goal."

###

With more than 50,000 members, the National Federation of the Blind
is the largest and most influential membership organization of blind
people in the United States.  The NFB improves blind people's lives
through advocacy, education, research, technology, and programs
encouraging independence and self-confidence.  It is the leading
force in the blindness field today and the voice of the nation's
blind.  In January 2004 the NFB opened the National Federation of the
Blind Jernigan Institute, the first research and training center in
the United States for the blind led by the blind.