[nfb-talk] The Word Blind

Michael Bullis mabullis at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 22 12:08:00 UTC 2009

I read a NY Times article this morning with the following sentence---"that
would be like the blind men trying to describe the elephant when each one
focuses on a single part."
It reminded me that from society's viewpoint, the word blind means totally
blind.  We draw distinctions legally and in our own community, but, the word
blind means the inability to see anything.  Period.
It reminded me that when people lose vision, they don't just avoid the word
blind because it's not the way they want to see themselves.  They avoid the
word because it's not what they've always defined blind as.  When people say
"blind sided", "blind to the truth", Etc.  they are thinking of not seeing
at all.  So, I remind myself that when we remind people that blind doesn't
mean totally blind, we are going against the grain of language usage formed
for tens of thousands of years.
So, I reminded myself to lighten up on society and on those losing vision
when they aren't aware of our subtle nuances of language.  They're doing
what comes natural.  Perhaps we ought to strive for an understanding and
exceptance of blindness rather than the propper language always, and in
every case.
Mike