[nfb-talk] NFB-NEWSLINE Now Available in Arkansas

Freeh, Jessica JFreeh at nfb.org
Thu Nov 5 10:52:11 UTC 2009

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CONTACT:

Chris Danielsen

Director of Public Relations

National Federation of the Blind

(410) 659-9314, extension 2330
(410) 262-1281 (Cell)

<mailto:cdanielsen at nfb.org>cdanielsen at nfb.org

NFB-NEWSLINE® Now Available in Arkansas

Free Service Offers Independent Access to Periodicals
  for Print-Disabled Arkansas Residents

Little Rock, Arkansas (November 4, 2009): The
National Federation of the Blind announced today
that NFB-NEWSLINE® is now available to all
print-disabled Arkansas residents.  NFB-NEWSLINE®
is a free service that allows those who cannot
read conventional newsprint due to a physical
disability to listen to the newspaper over the
telephone, on the web, or by download to a
digital talking-book player.  Through the
service, blind Arkansans can now independently
access over three hundred newspapers and
magazines and decide how, when, and where they
wish to read their favorite publications.

Dr. Marc Maurer, President of the National
Federation of the Blind, said: “For many years,
those unable to read the printed word were barred
from attaining access to information, which is
vital to full participation in society and
affects individuals in all of the roles they play
in their communities.  The availability of
NFB-NEWSLINE® truly places the keys of access in
the hands of all members of the print-disabled
community.  With these keys, the blind themselves
can open doors to the world and become aware of
the matters both large and small that are covered in their daily newspapers.”

Matt Lyles, who serves as president of the
National Federation of the Blind of Arkansas, is
excited to have this revolutionary service
available to him.  “I love knowing what’s going
on in the world around me, and NFB-NEWSLINE®
affords me that ability.  Further, I very much
appreciate that with NFB-NEWSLINE®, blind people
are not dependent on others to read the news to
us; instead, we have the same flexibility and
autonomy that we would with a traditional print
newspaper.  Finally, the news is not what someone
else decides is important; rather, NFB-NEWSLINE®
subscribers get to make the choice of what news is important to them.”

Katy Morris, director of Arkansas Department of
Human Services, Division of Services for the
Blind (DSB), said: “We are excited to welcome
NFB-NEWSLINE® into the family of services
sponsored by DSB.  NFB-NEWSLINE® offers valuable
opportunities for individuals who do not read
print to independently access information they
need.  In many ways NFB-NEWSLINE® mirrors the
same goals held by the Arkansas Division of
Services for the Blind to facilitate the
independence, choice, and engagement of persons
who are blind.  For the first time in DSB
history, this partnership between the existing
Arkansas Information Reading Services for the
Blind and NFB-NEWSLINE® promises to raise the bar
to enable Arkansans with vision impairments to
compete globally by obtaining local, state, and
worldwide information to manage their careers and their personal lives.”

NFB-NEWSLINE®, which began operation in 1995,
offers TV listings in addition to newspapers and
magazines to over 70,000 subscribers through
several delivery methods: a standard touch-tone
telephone, over the Internet, or by download to a
digital talking-book player or mp3-playing device.

To experience the independent access to over
three hundred publications offered with
NFB-NEWSLINE®, please visit
<http://www.nfbnewslineonline.org/>www.nfbnewslineonline.org.
For further information please write to
<mailto:swhite at nfb.org>swhite at nfb.org or call (866) 504-7300.

###

With more than 50,000 members, the National
Federation of the Blind is the largest and most
influential membership organization of blind
people in the United States.  The NFB improves
blind people's lives through advocacy, education,
research, technology, and programs encouraging
independence and self-confidence.  It is the
leading force in the blindness field today and
the voice of the nation's blind.  In January 2004
the NFB opened the National Federation of the
Blind Jernigan Institute, the first research and
training center in the United States for the blind led by the blind.