[nfb-talk] NFB Centers and Rock Climbing

Jim Marks blind.grizzly at gmail.com
Sat Oct 17 03:05:33 UTC 2009

Facts and logic?  Come on, John.  You're entitled to an opinion, but that's
all you've got.  It may be all any of us have, although it makes more sense
to pursue success rather than self-pity.  .  I bank on the belief that the
NFB shows us how not to be a victim rather than how to blame the victim.
Somehow, we've got to figure out a way to break all the prejudices about
what it means to be blind, and I think those who reject victimization and
reframe blindness in terms of first class citizenship, complete with all the
rights and responsibilities of that integration, offer strong philosophies
to guide us.

Rock climbing is one activity that helps us break down negative attitudes
about the abilities of the blind.  From what I understand, only one center
uses rock climbing as an activity.  Students can elect to opt out, although
I'm sure the center encourages students to challenge themselves.
Challenging attitudes is what the rock climbing is all about, after all.

-------
Jim Marks
blind.grizzly at gmail.com