[nfb-talk] Second go at- Question on NFB philosophy of fund raising

Robert Leslie Newman newmanrl at cox.net
Sat Aug 28 12:14:24 UTC 2010

NFBtalk members

For those of you who have read the below scenario and did not find it to be
philosophically unacceptable, then I ask- where is the philosophical line of
acceptable verses unacceptable asking for a donation? (Please take a minute
and help me with this. I plan to make a chapter building exercise out of
this and a newsletter article as well.)

At 06:38 AM 8/27/2010, you wrote:

>I have a question of NFB philosophy. I bring it to this list because I

>know and want you all to give it to me straight from the philosophical
shoulder.

>Here is the situation: There is a debate upon the acceptability of the

>following method of fund raising. There are some in my local chapter,

>in the affiliate in my state, in the division where I am the President,

>who feel that the below method of solicitation donations is not

>philosophically acceptable under NFB philosophy; some of the membership

>feel that the way it is being handled is acceptable. Do read the

>description I present and give us your feelings.

>I am part of the Omaha chapter and for years I have participated in the

>Wal-Mart "Meet and greet." And note the title that we've given it,

>"Meet and Greet."

>Allow me to set the scene- It is 10:00 AM, we have two six foot tables

>setup: one is outside the doors from the grocery store entrance and the

>other outside the general merchandise entrance. There is a large banner

>stretched across the full length of the front of the table, running

>just below the table-top, from the legs on the right hand side, to

>those on the left. The Banner is in the NFB colors of dark blue letters

>on a white

>background- it reads "National Federation of the Blind, Omaha chapter."

>The chapter members manning the table are also wearing NFB labeled
clothing.

>On the table-top, There are stacks of a variety of NFB literature , a

>large donation jar, a slate and stylist for taking notes, someone's

>long white cane lying the full length of the table and a

>bill-identifier (we will demonstrate and even give change). Then yes,

>we will have some item to sell to the potential donator; the item

>having been donated or purchased at a low price, in order that we do

>monetarily gain from the transaction. (You know how this must go; this

>is a fund raiser, as well as an opportunity to educate the public.)

>The members who "people" the table either sit behind the table or stand

>to the side or out front to better engage the flow of customers coming

>in and out of the store.

>"Would you like to give a donation to the Omaha Chapter of the National

>Federation of the Blind?" Or, "Would you like to purchase a Mother's

>Day Flower and support the National Federation of the Blind?" Is one of

>several different types of short, quick phrases that you might hear me

>or others say, as we hear new people traffic coming or going. These

>customers are always speeding by on their personal business and we

>learned long ago, that what ever you say needs to be quick and to the
point.

>Then, as a potential donator approaches the table, you might hear,

>"Would you like to help us do our work?" And/or "do you know a blind

>person?" Or, "Let us tell you about the Federation and what we do."

>And, knowing that most of these people are in a hurry to go about their

>business, we would hand them one of each of our broachers, saying

>something like "Please take these; we would like to tell you about our

>organization." And of course, if the person is inclined to visit, we

>will go into as much depth about blindness as possible (answering their
questions is always the priority).

Robert Leslie Newman

President- NFB Writers' Division

Division Website