[nfb-talk] Second go at- Question on NFB philosophy of fundraising

Michael Hingson info at michaelhingson.com
Mon Aug 30 14:55:52 UTC 2010

All,

When is it begging and not selling?  Used car dealers have been begging
since Henry Ford push the first car off the assembly line and out the door.
We get fifteen minutes+ of begging out of every hour of television.  Even
so, no one calls it begging but, rather it is selling or advertising.

Organizations and companies the world over apply to other organizations and
governments for grants through written applications.  Is this begging or is
this a legitimate method of securing needed funding through a recognized
process whereby the "most worthy" are funded?

Many non profit organizations set up tables in shopping malls or outside in
front of markets, or in any of a variety of places.  They use the locations
for a variety of purposes.  They provide information and/or they sell
products.  Anyone had a good Thin Mint from the Girl Scouts lately?

Robert nor his chapter is sitting or standing with a cup asking for money
because they need to provide for their basic needs.   Instead they are doing
exactly what any other similar organization does.  We should be proud of the
fact that we have progressed to the point where we are an organization out
in the community participating as do others and we even are asking for
funding for the organization just as do others for their projects.

Many people do not like to stand out in public pitching their wares nor
educating.  Some like this and do it well.  I suspect more of the "begging"
arguments comes from a discomfort of being the asker than anything else.
However, the issue is a proper one to discuss.

Some of us have been selling professionally all our lives, or at least most
of our lives.  The fact is we all sell every time we try to convince someone
of something.  We sell when we talk with the restaurant proprietor about why
our guide dogs are allowed into their establishments.  We are selling when
we answer any question about blindness.  We are selling a concept and not a
physical product but, we are selling none the less.

The NFB has never said efforts such as what Robert proposes are "begging".
This kind of thing offers the best opportunity to educate and integrate more
into society.  My only comment is that those who participate should do so
proudly and project the image that they belong out there just as does anyone
else.  We are people and citizens first and we happen to be blind.

As a point of selling, instead of saying "Would you please buy" or "Would
you help..." say "I would appreciate you..." or "I would like to invite you
to...".  Asking questions where the typical and most obvious response from
most of us is a definite "no" will yield that response.  Inviting or saying
"I would appreciate..." doesn't offer the same immediate "no" response.
This technique will yield positive results.

Best,

Mike Hingson

The Michael Hingson Group, INC.
     “Speaking with Vision”
                 Michael Hingson, President
                         (415) 827-4084
                   info at michaelhingson.com
                   www.michaelhingson.com

for info on the new KNFB Reader Mobile, visit:
http://knfbreader.michaelhingson.com