[nfb-talk] Responce to NFB 2010 Resolutions:

Lloyd Rasmussen lras at sprynet.com
Sat Dec 4 15:49:12 UTC 2010

If I have read things correctly, it appears to be from someone from an
ultra-libertarian group who would like to zero-base the federal government
(start it from scratch) and have the states or counties function as
republics.  If this model were to take hold, the NFB might be able to make
recommendations, but it would be much more important that each affiliate map
out its own path to get legislation passed which would be favorable to the
blind.  If his vision were to become reality, the NFB and the United States
would be very different.  It's unlikely that we would have various social
security and rehab programs, or the National Library Service, if each such
program was organized on a state or county level and compacts and service
agreements were not drawn up.  That's why the whole set of resolutions would
appear to be irrelevant to the ambassador from the Republic of Illinois.

I am somewhat conservative in my thinking, but more along religious than
fiscal lines.  When someone says that they want to shrink the federal
government, I want to ask them "which 200 programs do you intend to cut by
how much".  I believe we have a national debt crisis looming.  And we have
an even bigger ethics crisis looming.  Read some of the books about how the
economic meltdown has occurred, and you see idolatry practiced by every one
of us in the United States, from the top to the bottom of the economic
hierarchy.

I'm not going to quote the response below; it's in themessage to which I'm
responding.  And if people want to discuss these ideas with me, please keep
your discussion off the NFB-Talk listserv and write directly to me at
lras at sprynet.com .

Lloyd Rasmussen, Kensington, Maryland
Home:  http://lras.home.sprynet.com
Work:  http://www.loc.gov/nls