[nfb-talk] NY Times Article on Gov. Paterson and Braille

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Wed Dec 29 04:20:09 UTC 2010

Joe:

You will be disappointed with my answer below.  However, I would ask that
you not misinterpret it.  In what I shall say, I'm not saying "we can't".  I
*am* saying that there are good resons reasons we face some of the
difficulties we do.

In both the mentoring program and the BEL program, it's often not a question
of lack of will or lack of training.  In quite a few affiliates, it's simply
a matter of lack of warm bodies to do the work.  I know that's hard for
people in affiliates such as Texas, new York, Virginia and Massachusetts to
conceive.  But we in Washington were asked if we wished to participate in
the BELL program last year and although we would have loved to have done so,
we did not.  Why?  WE simply didn't have the people to make the program
work.  Out here, we are very often Shakespeare's WE Happy Few.  WE
acccomplish a lot for the number of members we have.  But it's hard to
expand when our membership is insufficient, we do not have staff and do not
have the funding to make the programs a success.

You may object that we should do more fund-raising and recruiting.  I agree.
But these efforts do not bring instant fruit.  But, like WPA, we poke along.

Mike