[nfb-talk] philosophy taken to another level then?

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Sun Jul 18 21:52:11 UTC 2010

Right. And your musings below then lead to a number of further questions:
(1) what level of competence should members of society routinely assume
blind people have (I suspect we would receive different answers from
different organizations of the blind)? (2) When and to what extent should
society in general and NFB in particular encourage individual blind people
to strive for increased competence beyond that which they already possess
and when should we attempt to compensate these same individuals for any
supposed lack of competence? (3) How do we distinguish between flexibility
of training and/or expectations and knuckling under to our
all-too-often-experience of having reduced expectations of ourselves and
others by virtue of our/their blindness?

No one ever said tackling any philosophy of living at the margins would be
easy.

Mike