[nfb-talk] Why I Can't ignore the NFB

John G. Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Fri Mar 19 17:49:17 UTC 2010

from

http://nfb.org/legacy/bm/bm03/bm0301/bm030103.htm

-- begin quote --

Mike Freeman: "We didn't need audible pedestrian signals, nor did we need
detectable warnings to walk the streets with safety and grace."

-- end quote --

Man, this really steams my wheaties. I was recently in San Rafael,
California getting a new guide dog from GDB. After one night training
session, the instructor told us that about half of the students crossed
against the light at a particular intercection. These are people with proven
mobility skills as GDB checks that out before the admit students.

The point is that anyone can make a mistake.  You might think that as new
guide dog trainees, the students were distracted or not at their best. But
that's not unusual. People are sometimes distracted or distressed and they
cross streets anyway. That's life.

People aren't perfect. They make mistakes. Most likely, everyone reading
this message has crossed against the lights at one time or another. And even
if you haven't, others have. You may be perfect but that doesn't mean you
should dismiss the needs of those who aren't.

The truth is that audible walk signals make us safer. The NFB, with its
bizarre, capricious policies has helped make this world less safe for the
very people it is supposed to protect.