[nfb-talk] FYI Are Braille's days as the great equalizer over?

qubit lauraeaves at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 27 03:50:14 UTC 2010

I agree about the attitude.  Also, it is hard to convey a positive attitude
when blindness is new to a child and his parents.
Case in point: I met a mother whose young son had become blind from a
gunshot to his head in a tragic domestic violence situation.
Fortunately his sight was the only serious physical damage.
But she was asking me, when I met her, whether braille as important for all
blind children to learn.  I replied that it was very important, but on the
spot there, I couldn't think of good reasons why.  I since regret not being
more prepared with examples.
But when I said it was important, you could feel the sinking feeling in the
room.  I think she was thinking there was little hope -- like learning
braille was such a "blind" thing where blind had all its negative
stereotypes.  I decided maybe I wasn't the best person to try and help. (I'm
also in a wheelchair and so don't represent the general mobile blind
individual.  I also had a good education and work experience despite being
blind, but at the time I was on disability from work. Hence my feelings of
inadequacy.)
Anyway, braille is important and should be held up as something positive
rather than backward.
--le