[nfb-talk] is Braille the great equalizer

qubit lauraeaves at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 27 03:58:33 UTC 2010

bravo

----- Original Message -----
From: "Judy Jones" <jtj1 at cableone.net>
Sent: Friday, November 26, 2010 7:42 PM
Subject: Re: [nfb-talk] is Braille the great equalizer

There is nothing to substitute for braille skills.  Many have probably seen
the statistic that approximately 70% of blind people are unemployed, but
around 90% of those employed do use braille.  It is fast, and one can use
skills, such as skimming a document, just as a sighted person would skim
print.  You get spelling and format input, just as sighted readers do, and
reading speeds are comparable.  I would be very limited in my working and
personal life if I didn't have braille.  It allows me to file documents for
sighted colleagues, and pull documents upon request.

As a classroom teacher, I could work with AV media that had braille
captions, read print/braille books to our daughters when they were little,
and brailling the bottoms of bank checks help to keep track of them.

In my office, I make sure any print document goes through the Perkins
brailler to receive a date and data description at the bottom.

Anyone who uses braille does many of the same things and more.  I can't
stress enough the value of braille, and believe without it, literacy is in
jeopardy.  One can be very well-spoken, highly intelligent, cultured, and
poised, yet, if unable to actually read and write for personal use, is still
technically illiterate.  This may sound hard-line to some, but I am so
serious about blind people having the right to read.  Professionals and
educators in the field of blindness, never, never, never should down-play
the importance of braille.

Judy