[nfb-talk] Question of Philosophy- fund raising

ckrugman at sbcglobal.net ckrugman at sbcglobal.net
Sun Sep 5 13:25:53 UTC 2010

I have had the same experience carrying a cane in one hand and giving money
to a sighted panhandler from the other. I too, have also gotten people food
and gotten to know them as well. with my social work and legal background I
am also able to give them needed referrals as well at times. Much of my
social work experience was doing outreach on the streets to the homeless and
I got very positive reactions from many of the homeless people that I worked
with because my blindness  was something they could relate to in that I was
a positive role model for many of them. The fact that I didn't see them
visually and judge them by physical appearances in many cases made it easier
for them to trust me when I was working with them. At some point I always
asked coworkers to physically describe certain people so that I would have
an idea of their appearances any features that I would miss.
Chuck