[nfb-talk] {Disarmed} FW: A personal reportfrom ChairmanGordon Gund

John Heim john at johnheim.net
Fri Apr 22 20:05:24 UTC 2011

It depends on what you mean by "inches". Research funded in part by the
Foundation Fighting Blindness has developed therapies that have actually
restored people's vision.

But the main reason the research hasn't done much yet is that the science is
too new. FFB focuses entirely on retinal diseases like macular degeneration
and retinitis pigmentosa. These diseases have to be treated with gene
therapy and stem cell therapy. Here at the University of Wisconsin, there is
a doctor working to take a person's own cells, induce them to act like stem
cells, and then use these cells to replace the damaged cells in the person's
retina. The entire science of gene therapy and stem cell therapy are only
about 10 to 15 years old.  But enormous progress has already been made.