[nfb-talk] {Disarmed}FW: Apersonal reportfrom ChairmanGordon Gund

Ed Meskys edmeskys at roadrunner.com
Sat Apr 23 15:30:44 UTC 2011

I am replying to Steve Jacobson's post. I always had poor vision, 20/50 with
glasses, and never had any accommodation in school except for sitting in the
front seat in classrooms, from first grade thru graduate school. I became
totally blind instantly at the age of 35 in 1971 while lecturing at a
blackboard. I had lost one eye to spontaneous tearing of the retina in 1953,
the other 18 years later. Surgery didn't help. However only a few months
earlier I had my one eye bandaged or totally blurred for cataract surgery,
and had survived six weeks with no vision. When sight went totally I was not
that upset, because I had already functioned without vision. I went to a
residential rehab center (Carroll Center, then called St. Paul's) for 15
weeks, and went back to teaching. I function fine as a blind person. Only
time I miss vision is when I am unable to see the pictures sent back from
space by the various probes to Jupiter, Saturn, etc. Only way I could regain
vision would be by the electrodes in the brain, and their resolution is so
low that I would never be tempted. Ed Meskys