[nfb-talk] Making Our Homes Comfortable and Accessible to Blind Folks

Powers, Terry (NIH/OD/DEAS) [E] Terry.Powers at nih.gov
Mon Dec 19 14:07:40 UTC 2011

I think you should have lights on, not only for your guests but for protection.  I have some sight and can not stand a dark house.  My totally blind, chapter members, when I go to their homes, have lights on.  I think they use timers to control the lights, posibly.
If you walk into my home, accept for the canes at the door, a brailler, on my craft table, a talking micro wave and a few braille gagits like a braille ruler, I do not think you would even know it was the home of a blind person.  I have collections, a few pictures on the walls and have decorated for the Christmas holiday.  An NFB member came over and we decorated my place and had a great time.
When planning my lay out of furnature I planned it so I could look at the tv when I wanted, even though I can not see it well.  I have a place to sit and talk on the phone and I have a recliner.  I love all aspects of my home accept transpertation, now that I am living on my own.

Terry Powers