[nfb-talk] Rehab center class question

Powers, Terry (NIH/OD/DEAS) [E] Terry.Powers at nih.gov
Fri Oct 14 12:45:16 UTC 2011

Someone who is newly blind, needs to be oriented to the long, white cane.  They need to learn how to get around and up and down curbs and stairs and not have to grab onto walls.  They need to be exposed to braille and that there is training, for them to learn.  Show them some of the simple measuring devices and cooking tools.  Many have never seen a cane or ever heard of braille.  You are there to help them to overcome their fears of being blind.  Slowly expose them to new items.  You do not want to overwelm them.
Just a few thoughts from a low partial, who has been blind since almost birth.

Terry Powers