[nfb-talk] [Blindtlk] Refusal To Use A Cane

David Evans drevans at bellsouth.net
Tue Dec 18 04:40:19 UTC 2012

Dear Sheila,

I changed to a dog as I had some new issues in my life that I thought that
the dog could help me with.
I was right.  I am now pretty much totally blind and have only the slightest
light perception.
I was having trouble and tend to curve to the left as I walk and I wobble a
little as well.
I found that I was having allot of trouble even finding a building, much
less the door to them and the dog can do this for me.
I travel allot and even teach others to use our Transit systems that include
trains, buses and Para-transit.
I even worked for the transit system here.
I have learned that there are some barriers to using a guide dog and not
everyone looks forward to seeing you and your dog show up at their door.
I understand this better now and some of it I accept and some of it I don't.
Some people don't like Jack to come in their house, their car or their
business.  Some of this I accept as people have a right to keep their houses
clean, free of dog fur and without dog nails scratching their polished
hardwood floors.  As for the businesses, as long as the Public is invited, I
and my dog have a right to be there too and I will exercise that Right when
and where I wish too.
I stick up for the Rights of guide dog users, under the ADA and the Fair
housing Laws, to go where I want or need to go and to take my guide dog with
me.
I have had businesses try to throw me out a few times, but I know my rights
and how to exercise them.
I try to educate rather than litigate, but I can do both and as there are
criminal penalties here in Florida for those that interfere with a guide dog
team as well as civil ones, I win my point most of the time.
NAGDU and FLAGDU are both NFB Divisions and we promote guide dog access.
Jack has helped me get around in Washington D.C. and we have flown to
California and back several times without much problem.
If the NFB were anti-guide dog, it is not coming from the organization but
from some individuals who just don't like guide dogs or see those of us who
choose to use a dog as less capable.  A false notion for sure.
I always carry my cane with me, even when I am using Jack.
There are just some places I don't want to take Jack, such as some to the
restrooms I must visit occasionally.  I don't want him to lay down on those
dirty old floors after all.
I try to take the good with the bad and just accept what I can not control.
The NFB has helped me learn to be a better person and I can not ask for more
than that.

David Evans, NFBF and GD Jack
Former Nuclear/Aerospace Materials Engineer
Builder of the Lunar Rovers and the F-117 Stealth Fighter.