[nfb-talk] Some Job Questions...

Michael Bullis bullis.michael at gmail.com
Fri Nov 22 19:47:44 UTC 2013

I think you're on the right track if you think about how to do a job rather
than how to get the job.  Because, once you're comfortable that you can do
it, you can more likely get it.
So, go down to your local Business Enterprise cafeteria and ask them to let
you learn how to run the dishwasher and operate the cash register.  Maybe at
first you just start out with the dishwasher and get comfortable with how it
works and then where the dishes go, Etc.
Then, you ask for more responsibility.  Along the way they may or may not
pay you.  But you shouldn't focus on that.  Just focus on learning what a
food service kitchen and operation is all about.
I've owned several restaurants and started out in the Randolph-Shepard
(Business Enterprise) program.
As far as making pretzels, try to read some things about how pretzels are
made and see if they help you see what's involved in doing it.  Then, go to
a pretzel making place and ask them to show you how they make them.
If they do it by hand or machine it will be different, or, if they do it
Like Ben and I did it, like buying them frozen, that's different as well.
Most modern places make them themselves.
The reason I would start out with business enterprise is that they're going
to be more comfortable with a blind guy.
Even today, even having run several food operations for ten or fifteen
years, I'm not sure your average restaurant manager would be comfortable
with me wandering around in his kitchen.  The average employer doesn't know
what you can do and will be nervous about it.  If you are comfortable that
you can do things, that helps grately.
Cash registers in the average business don't talk, so, unless you get very
lucky, that's going to be a problem.  Although, I do hear some talking
registers now and then.  Otherwise, they're all digital and not accessible
without substantial modification that costs far more money than a minimum
wage employee is worth.  But, again, you have the business enterprise
program to learn at because they will have talking cash registers, or, some
very old cash registers that don't talk, but also don't do much else, like
tracking inventory as it is sold, or processing credit cards.
I'd be glad to talk with you more about this off line.  It's a very doable
thing you want to do, but, you'll have to know your strengths and skills if
you want the average restaurant or pretzel seller manager to hire you.
Mike Bullis
Baltimore
Bullis.michael at gmail.com