[NFB-Talk] Sky diving company requests a power of attorney.

Chris Nusbaum cnusbaumnfb at gmail.com
Wed Sep 29 17:39:14 UTC 2021

Hi Greg:

This seems a bit fishy to me, if not outright discriminatory or illegal.
Your ability to read a printed contract does not in the least negate your
legal authority to sign it. Moreover, my understanding is that the ADA
requires such entities to either provide material in an accessible format or
work out an accommodation that will allow for you to access that material
using assistance (like a reader) that you arrange. Perhaps this is a cynical
way of looking at the situation, but it seems to me that they could be using
this as their way of avoiding the possibility of a blind person skydiving
through their company.

To be clear, I'm certainly not a lawyer, so I'm in no position to advise you
of your legal rights. But, if you want to pursue this further, it might be
useful to run this scenario by one of the lawyers in the NFB to see if you
have any recourse. At the very least, you could certainly try to find
another company to skydive with that will do it without as much hassle.
Please keep us updated on how this goes.

Chris