[NFB-Talk] Volunteers to Take Calls on the Same Day as Benefit

Mary Donahue braille at satx.rr.com
Sun Apr 17 18:45:56 UTC 2022

Good afternoon everyone,

                We listened to about eight hours of the We Are With You
benefit yesterday, and found the music, the check-ins, and the testimonies
from the blind Ukrainians very impressive. The only disappointment I found
was not being able to take contributions over the phone on the same day as
the benefit. There is no reason why there could not be a volunteer call
center or phone bank set up in the national office for volunteers to take
calls. The other option would be to have volunteers take calls remotely.
When I worked at Marriott Reservations call center in San Antonio in 2005,
several reservation agents stayed after hours to take calls from callers who
called in to a toll-free number to ask about resources for food and shelter
in the area after Hurricane Katrina. From what I heard the next day from one
of the other reservation agents, the callers appreciated the operator
service. I did not volunteer that particular time, but it would have been a
worthwhile experience.

                If there is another benefit such as We Are with You, let
there be operators "standing by" to take contributions! Otherwise, those
performers and anyone putting the benefit together did a good job.!

Mary Donahue