[NFB-Talk] Partial Vision Interest Groups?

Raul Gallegos - NAGDU rgallegos at nagdu.org
Thu Jun 20 03:21:31 UTC 2024

Hello Rajiv. I will not chastise you for your comments. However, I would like to comment on something specific you said below.

You said, “Finally, the perfunctory rubber-stamp votes at conventions where everyone simply says "yay," to approve resolutions without any accurate count.”

I respectfully disagree with this statement. While it is true that when resolutions are voted on, if there is an overwhelming majority based on yay vs nay, the resolution passes. However, when it is not clear, it ends up going to a delegate vote. In fact, this tends to happen every year for at least one resolution. One of my more memorable ones took place in 2022, in New Orleans. The title and link of the resolution is: 2022-06 - Regarding Audio Description and Text-To-Speech https://nfb.org/resources/speeches-and-reports/resolutions/2022-resolutions#06

This resolution was not decided by an uncounted voice vote. Because it wasn’t clear if it passed or not, brief discussions for and against were allowed, followed by a delegate vote. Ultimately, the resolution passed.

Thanks for reading.

--

Raul Gallegos, President

National Association of Guide Dog Users

(346) 439-7444 •  <mailto:rgallegos at nagdu.org> rgallegos at nagdu.org

 <https://d.docs.live.net/df04fbdd43ea5830/Documents/www.nfb.org> www.nfb.org •  <https://d.docs.live.net/df04fbdd43ea5830/Documents/www.nagdu.org> www.nagdu.org

 <https://calendar.google.com/calendar/ical/nagdu.org_7eopjofhnd4968m46rcmgrck0s%40group.calendar.google.com/public/basic.ics> Subscribe to the NAGDU public calendar

“You can live the life you want. Blindness is not what holds you back.”