[NFB-Utah] NFBU Legislative Update

Nfb Utah nfbutah at gmail.com
Fri May 26 02:36:40 UTC 2017

Dear federation family, this is your NFB of Utah legislative update:

We continue to work on issues that impact the blind through the legislative
process.  The following are the issues that we at the NFB are directly
working with Congress:

Accessible Instructional Material in Higher Education Act, H.R. 1772 (AIM
HIGH)

This bill will promote instructional technology and content that are
accessible to the blind and other students with print disabilities. Read
the AIM HIGH fact sheet to learn more.

Access Technology Affordability Act of 2017, H.R. 1734 and S. 732 (ATAA)

These bills will facilitate the purchase of access technology for blind
people by creating a refundable, per person tax credit. Read the Access
Technology Affordability Act of 2017 fact sheet to learn more.

Transitioning to Integrated and Meaningful Employment Act of 2017, H.R.
1377 (TIME)

This bill will increase employment opportunities by removing stigmas and
low expectations propagated by section 14(c) of the Fair Labor Standards
Act. Note that the bill now phases out subminimum wages over a six year
period corresponding to the recommendation of the National Council on
Disability. Read the TIME Act fact sheet to learn more.

What can you do to help in this process:

1.  Try to advocate for these issues by contacting your congressional
delegates either by emailing or calling their DC and or Utah office.

2.  Try to attend any town hall or events that your congressional delegates
are having in your area and bring these issues up if you get the
opportunity.

3.  Get friends and family members educated about these issues and have
them do the same by advocating for these issues with their congressional
offices.

4.  Please keep me posted if you get any specific feedback from your
outreach to the congressional offices. My contact information should follow
this email.

5.  If you have personal stories that has a direct link to these issues,
please share it with me.

Feel free to reach out to me if you have questions about any of these
issues that we are advocating for.  We can make a difference and change
systems if we collectively engage in the legislative process

Cheers.

Sachin Pavithran
Legislative Director
National Federation of the Blind of Utah (NFBU)
Phone : 1-435-512 6877
Email : sachin.pavithran at usu.edu

Jerry Nealey
Hotline 801-info-nfb (801-632-6632)