[Nfb-web] [Nfbnet-webmasters] Question about Lists and Duplicate Messages

David Andrews dandrews at visi.com
Mon Aug 10 20:03:15 UTC 2009

Michael:

i will answer your questions in-line below.

Dave

At 10:39 PM 8/9/2009, Michael Hansen wrote:
>Dave,
>
>1. Let me ask this. When you send messages out today you said you
>select the lists you want to send to. Do you send to all lists? If not
>it is safe to say that there are people (or groups) that use the
>server that you wouldn't normally share this info with. There for
>automaticly subscribing everyone to a list might not be the correct
>choice.

DA:  Right -- this is one of my concerns.  I wouldn't do a mass
mailing of "secret" or confidential info, but some lists, like
DTB-Talk and Electronics-Talk for example have specific purposes, and
the subject matter is blindness-related, but not necessarily NFB
related.  Further, some lists have problems staying on topic, like
Electronics-Talk, so I then to minimize mass posts to them.  All this
means, no perfect solution.

>2. If you use NFB-Announce or some hidden list, could somebody
>unsubscribe themselves from it, and later complain they don't get the
>messages.

DA:  I could control the aspects of the list, and depending on how
the list was generated, their activity on other lists would determine
if they were on the master list or lists, or not.

>3. Silly question have you dug into the mailman docs or forums to see
>if there is a way to configure a admin to be able to send to a list
>that has all other lists as child lists and not sendout duplicates?
>(all though this still requires some consideration of my first point)

DA:  Yes, it is possible, and that is the approach I am leaning
towards.  There however is one major drawback to this approach --
anybody subscribed in digest mode would be skipped.  That may be an
acceptable price to pay, for other benefits, but I am undecided so
far.  My educated guess is that five to ten percent of list members
are digested.

Dave