[Nfb-web] Wireless Streaming

Olivero, Tony TOlivero at nfb.org
Wed Nov 18 16:54:20 UTC 2009

Peter,

I was able to use the hotel's wireless to provide the stream.
Interestingly, the upstream bandwidth appeared to be more stable than
the downstream as we were, for the most part, consistently able to
stream, but webpages and other general internet tasks were frustratingly
slow.

I don't know what format you were using, but I sent out an ogg vorbis
stream which has the advantage of greater fidelity at lower bandwidths.
The quality we used is approximately what a 64k MP3 stream sounds like,
but generally used anywhere from 57-61k of bandwidth (I forget the
overhead on an MP3 stream, but I believe a 64k audio stream uses
somewhere around 70k of total bandwidth). The only disadvantage this
caused was people who only had Windows Media Player were not able to
listen as WMP does not seem to stream .ogg files. I unfortunately didn't
realize this until Friday when it was too late to change the m3u file on
the affiliate's site to point to an mp3 stream. I would still like to
use the ogg format next year and plan to either put information on the
site about downloading Winamp or use a third party relay to transcode
and rebroadcast the stream in an alternate format. (I'm blanking on the
one I know is out there, but I've got it bookmarked somewhere and can
share it if there is interest.)

This was my first actual experience streaming a "for real" live event
and Here are a couple of things I learned.

1) Have the ability to control the file pointing to the final stream
location. I provided our webmaster a copy of an m3u file that linked to
the ogg stream and had him put that file on our server and link to it. I
should have put the m3u on a server I could access (allowing me to make
changes if necessary). If I had done that, I could have easily converted
to an MP3 stream when I realized the OGG couldn't be played by some
users and would have also had the ability to switch stream providers if
our host had some sort of major malfunction.

2) Have some sort of heartbeat/notification mechanism to alert when the
stream goes down (I wasn't in front of the computer the entire weekend).
During the banquet we lost the stream for about 11 minutes because the
hotel's wireless timed out and I had to reaccept the Terms of Service.
This was fortunately early enough in the banquet that not much was
missed, but I only discovered it had gone down when I was unable to pull
up the feed stats on my cell phone. Idealy, there would be a way to get
a text message when the feed dropped so it could be quickly
reestablished. (This should be accomplishable by having the stream
computer "touch" a file on a remote server and having that remote server
send an e-mail if it doesn't get updated in a specified amount of time.
I just need to code it.)

>From the statistics I was seeing, we averaged about 5-6 users for the
entire convention period. This is about 14 hours and just over 1.5
gigabytes of bandwidth used. Not too bad. the cost for the server rental
was $8.99 and it would have allowed us to go up to 25GB of bandwidth
without having to purchase additional. Someone other than me will have
to speak to what the quality sounded like as a listener, but the times
when I pulled it up on the computer to monitor, or on my iPhone when I
had to leave the room, it seemed to be reasonable. (We did have some
distortion issues Friday, but I believe those were corrected by the
Saturday sessions).

I hope this answers some of your questions. Please let me know if there
are others I can assist with.

Tony