[Nfb-web] Desktop Texting Applications

Blaine Clark blaineclrk at gmail.com
Wed Aug 11 06:23:53 UTC 2010

Hello Peter and Mary,

Generally, sending texts to phones from computers is easy, once you've
got the phone's texting address. There are ways to do this through most
email clients or programs such as OutLook, OutLook Express, Microsoft
Mail, Thunderbird, Evolution and several others.

To find out your phone's texting address, send a text message from your
phone to your email address, or have your friends simply send a text
message to your email address. When it arrives, add the From: address to
your address book and identify it's name as so and so's texting address.
For example; texting from my phone through Verizon to my Comcast email
account on my computer I get this as my From: address;
0123456789 at VTEXT.COM. That's not my real phone number of course! When
texting from your computer to a cell phone, remember that most carriers
limit the size of the message, so experiment with the size of your
messages to see where they get cut off. There are very few phone
carriers that don't allow computers to send text messages to their phone
customers.

For example, I copy and trim weather forecasts for a few days and
email/text them to my phone. I don't have to pay anyone for that service!

Now, for a page that lists most world-wide carriers, here's
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_carriers_providing_SMS_transit Find
out who your friend's service carriers are and tack the appropriate
@provider.name onto their numbers and surprise the daylights out of them!

As for texting to Pepsi from a computer ... sorry, haven't found the
trick to that yet, and you've got me curious now, but here's one option;
review the information on the following web site and then contact Pepsi
about their CAPTCHA. Don't waste your time telling them to drop the
CAPTCHA, they won't because it serves a very important function for them
... it keeps spam-bots from bombarding their submission form. Instead
ask them to make it easier for people to find and/or understand the
CAPTCHA, use different formats, audible alternatives, better labeled
form fields, a clear text page alternative without the Flash crap,
whatever it takes to make it easily accessible for you, but still
spam-bot proof for them. Here's the web page of good info;
http://www.w3.org/WAI/EO/Drafts/responding/. Mark this one in your
Bookmarks! I did. Note what the W3 people say about the information you
need to give to Pepsi to help them understand where you're coming from.

Now, to contact Pepsi ... the last link on the Pepsi home page is a
contact us link to a page full of forms, but pretty much the whole page
is a Flash application, ahrgh! http://www.pepsi.com/ And then there's
this page; http://pepsico.com/Contacts.html. It lists several business
email addresses, postal addresses and phone numbers and is a text-based
page. It might be worthwhile to get a small group to contact them and
talk about their site with them or write a few letters.

I used to use a WebVisum addon to the FireFox browser to decipher
CAPTCHAs, but now so many of them are presented in Flash applications
and WebVisum just can't penetrate Flash. WebVisum is still good for
deciphering other CAPTCHAs and for collaborative labeling of poorly
marked page elements ... as long as they aren't Flash!

Good luck!