[Nfb-web] Upcoming Conference/Training for NFB Webmaster

Milton Ota mota at hawaii.rr.com
Sat Aug 20 20:02:25 UTC 2011

To fellow Federationist Webmasters of Affiliates, Divisions and Chapters:

Discussed at our annual meeting of NFB Webmasters, those in attendance
wanted to see some kind of conference/training. We have been offered the use
of a chat room at http://www.out-of-sight.net Out-of-Sight using the Talking
Community conference/chat client by Debi Black for no charge.

A decision by group chair Gary Wunder and myself was made to go ahead and
schedule a date and time for our first session. That date and time is as
follows:

Sunday, August 28, 2011

Time: 8:00 p.m. Eastern Time, 7:00 p.m. Central, 6:00 p.m. Mountain and 5:00
p.m. Pacific.

Topic to be discussed if an expert in the use of "Word Press" is available
or you have some experience with "Word Press" is the subject matter after we
have gone over a brief orientation of the use of the room for those who have
never used the Talking Community conference/chat room before.

Registration to the website is required and a confirmation time of at least
24 to 48 hours needs to be allowed for your registration confirmation. If
you haven't registered, please do that before the 25th of August to be sure
that you will be able to join us.

Once your registration has been approved you will need to go to the
Out-of-Sight website to download a small plug-in, if you have never used the
Talking Community conference/chat room before.

It is suggested that you have a set of speakers or a headset with a
microphone to be able to talk to others in the room. Text messaging is also
available if you don't have a microphone.

To JAWS users using version 11 or later, you don't need any scripts as it is
included with the package by Freedom Scientific.

For Window Eyes users, you will need to turn off the Progress indicator so
that you don't get a lot of chatter from the speech.

For other screen readers, we don't have scripts or suggestions as how to
best meet your need but you are still welcomed to join us.

Please follow the instructions to easily get to the room that has been
set-up for our use and arrive at least 10 to 15 minutes before the time
listed above to be sure everything is working well for you to fully
participate.

1.  Go to www.out-of-sight.net

2.  Click on the "Chat Rooms Main Locator" link.

3.  Click on "Display Occupied Rooms".  If the Webmasters room is not

listed, go back up the page and click on "Display Unoccupied Rooms".

4.  Locate the "Webmasters of the National Federation of the Blind" link,

and press enter to open up the room.

If you have any further questions, either post them here, or call me at 808
295-2528.

Milton Ota

National Federation of the Blind