[Nfb-web] Unable to Reset Domain Password

Peter Donahue pdonahue2 at satx.rr.com
Tue Jul 19 02:08:55 UTC 2011

Good evening everyone,

    This is an urgent request for anyone who can help us with a problem no
one seems to be able to crack. Our Tennessee Affiliate recently developed a
new Web site and wants to point their domain to it. The domain is:
http://www.nfb-tennessee.org

The trouble started last year when they asked me to point their domain to
the new Web site. The username and password for the domain account has never
been changed since it was created in 2007. Yet when I tried to access their
domain account to update the name servers the password keeps being rejected.

    I followed the domain host's procedure for authorizing a reset of the
password but have yet to receive a reply to my request. I downloaded their
password reset request form and faxed it to them while we were in Orlando
and gave my contact for them a copy of the paperwork.

    The domain provider in question is:
http://www.nameregistrars.net

    At one time they were a very good company to deal with. They had live
tech support and would resolve problems like this quickly. Since then their
phone support has gone away, they do not offer automatic renuel of site
domains, and have been less than cooperative in resolving customer problems.
Other affiliates have had similar issues with this domain host. I'll be
transferring my personal domain to a more reputable hosting service that has
humans that go above and beyond the call of duty to assist their customers,
and offer automatic renuel of domains. If you asked me in the words of Ray
McGeorge concerning nameregistrars.net, "They're a rotten, stinking,
outfit!!"

    The NFB of Tennessee URL still works but takes visitors to their old Web
site. We need to some how direct visitors to the new site. I'm copying David
Andrews on this in the event he might be able to assist us with another
work-around so visitors will land on the NFB of Tennessee's new Web site
instead of the old one. If I can obtain a current URL where the new site
lives and if it's possible to "Redirect" site traffic to the new site this
would be another way to fix this problem while we continue to work on the
password issue. They have four more years of registration left on this
domain and would like to take advantage of it by having visitors directed to
their new site. If anyone can help us break this log jam we'll be very much
appreciative. Here's hoping someone can help us with this situation.

Peter Donahue

"Will you come and awake our lost land from its slumber
      And her fetters we'll break, links that long are encumbered.
      And the air will resound with hosannas to greet you
      On the shore will be found gallant Irishmen to greet you."
Will You Come to the Bower
Traditional Irish Folk Song