[Nfb-web] Installing and Using Windows Media Server

Peter Donahue pdonahue2 at satx.rr.com
Tue Jul 19 21:48:51 UTC 2011

Good afternoon everyone,

    We're planning to stream our state convention in November. Since I now
have a Virtual Private Server (VPS) it seems more economic sense to install
and operate my own streaming server rather than subscribe to a streaming
plan only to spend money and have it go unused most of the year. Having the
server on the VPS will allow me to "Spin" it up when necessary and shut it
down when not in use saving me a tonne of bucks. Has anyone installed the
Windows Media audio or video server on a VPS or a dedicated server? How hard
was it to do and did you encounter any accessibility or other issues. I'll
go Shoutcast as a last resort but prefer the quality of Windows Media over
Shoutcast.

    If successful and I can push data streams to it without experiencing
drop-out on my Mobile Internet connection this opens up some exciting
possibilities for next year's national convention. But first I need to get
the server installed and running so we can broadcast our state convention.
All the best.

Peter Donahue

"Will you come and awake our lost land from its slumber
      And her fetters we'll break, links that long are encumbered.
      And the air will resound with hosannas to greet you
      On the shore will be found gallant Irishmen to greet you."
Will You Come to the Bower
Traditional Irish Folk Song