[Nfb-web] Web Site Link Checker

Michael Baldwin mbaldwin at gpcom.net
Mon Feb 20 14:47:23 UTC 2012

I know there is a plug-in for word press that kind of does this. It checks
the links, but it does not change them, it alerts you to bad links and where
they are, and you have to change them.
I don't think it would be to hard to program something with php. Set it to
scrape all the urls from your website, and store those in a database. The
script would then go visit those URL's and see what the status code is, like
200 OK 404, 301 etc. URL's with 200 okay status could be checked every 72
hours or whatever you would like, and those that have 404 error's could be
checked more often until a certain point and then it could send off an
e-mail to alert you of the issue. If there is a permanent redirect, you
could be alerted right away. I am not sure you would want the script making
the changes. That would need to have the file permissions set at 777 or so,
unless the pages were dynamic and stored in the DB.

As far as available programs I am not aware of any, but I am sure they are
out there.

Michael