[Nfb-web] [NFB-web] Web Hosting Company Recommendations

Thomas Stivers thomas.stivers at gmail.com
Sun Oct 28 13:49:34 UTC 2012

I currently have the NFB of Texas site hosted with DreamHost. They offer a
basic hosting plan to non-profit organizations at no charge.
http://wiki.dreamhost.com/Non-profit_Discount
The uptime has been good, I find their proprietary control panel more
accessible than CPanel, and when I've needed support they have been prompt.
The only down side, and it might be a big one, is that MySQL queries are a
bit slow. I run nfbtx.org on Drupal 6 and my average load time for the home
page is about 1.5 seconds. That's not too bad, but only because its pretty
heavily cached. Load times in the admin interface are more like 3 to 4
seconds which can add up to be a headache when you're doing a lot of setup.
All in all I am a huge fan of DreamHost even with the slow queries, and free
service is always a good thing.