[Nfb-web] Looking for Affiliate WebSite Assistance

Littlefield, Tyler tyler at tysdomain.com
Sat Oct 3 15:11:31 UTC 2015

I don't know if I agree with everything below, but for the most part I
do. First I shouldn't be forced into labour for any cause, be it yours
or someone elses. I'm going to assume you're employed and give you a
ficticious job here. Lets say that there's a carpet cleaning service
and you make your money steam cleaning carpets. Would it be fair to
force you into labour for the board members of an organization because
they're part of the NFB?

As Gabe said, being a decent webmaster has so much more in terms of
skill. Most people can one-click install a CMS, but knowing what tools
each offfers and how to use them is a huge bonus. Also having someone
who has some security knowledge.

If I volunteer, I do it because I want to. I am currently building out
two sites for organizations that I support. There is nothing wrong
with doing a volunteer job if you can. Unlike what Gabe said, it
doesn't disqualify you as a human or anything else.

On 10/3/2015 9:18 AM, Gabe Vega via Nfb-web wrote:
> [...]
>> time so can be being a State President or Secretary or Treasure.
>> Those are not paid positions nor do those people expect to be
>> paid when they are elected. We certainly take care of necessary
>> expenses when appropriate (postage, copies, envelopes, occasional
>> transportation, etc....) but we don't pay them a hourly wage or a
>> salary. Why do some webmasters expect this. Being a webmaster
>> should be looked upon as a talent (or service) that the
>> individual can lend to our cause.
>>
>> Just my 2 cents
>>
>> Mike --- Webmaster NFB of Nebraska
>>
>> On Wed, Sep 30, 2015 at 2:30 PM, Gary Wunder via Nfb-web
>> <nfb-web at nfbnet.org
>>> wrote:
>>
>>> With all due respect to paid positions, should we pay our state
>>> presidents, our newsletter editors, are recording secretaries,
>>> our treasurers, and the rest of the folks who regularly
>>> volunteer a significant amount of time? There is no excuse for
>>> treating anyone badly, be they a webmaster or anything else,
>>> but most of us bring the talents that we have, and we turn them
>>> into a donation. At the same time we donate our brains and
>>> energy, we are actively involved in fundraising to secure those
>>> things that we can't hope to get free of charge.
>>>
>>> In the NFB of Missouri we have hired several webmasters because
>>> we believed the work to be so time-consuming that it was not
>>> reasonable for a volunteer to take it on. In one case we hired
>>> a webmaster whose primary goal was to make our website
>>> accessible but who would not pay attention to visual criticisms
>>> and the suggestion that ones work should be visually observed
>>> as well as audibly red. The second webmaster we hired decided
>>> he would convert our website to Word Press. We talked about the
>>> absolute necessity of the website being accessible both from
>>> the perspective of the visiting user and the person doing the
>>> updating. The person we hired assured us that he had read a
>>> good bit about making Word Press accessible, and the content
>>> he generated for us was indeed quite usable. When it came to
>>> working with the content management system, which was one of
>>> our major objectives, he realized that making the website
>>> accessible was beyond him. He quit. To his credit he did not
>>> take the second amount of money which was due him on completion
>>> of that part of the project, but getting qualified people is
>>> no easy matter.
>>>
>>> Before we decide that being a webmaster is necessarily a paid
>>> position with the NFB, let us consider by what distinction we
>>> will divide paid and volunteer effort, and once we have
>>> established a list of paid positions, let us figure out how in
>>> the world we are going to fund them. The mail campaign is
>>> slowly dying; reverse mortgages are taking their toll on
>>> estates that once went to us; telephone solicitation is frowned
>>> upon and ever more difficult. I'm sure that if we all put our
>>> minds to tackling this problem, we can come up with a

- --