[NFB-Web] New Website

blind at trailstone.com blind at trailstone.com
Tue Oct 18 01:16:25 UTC 2022

Hi Steve,

I have been helping manage my affiliates web site on Drupal for the last few years. We attempted to migrate to national twice now, but have been unsuccessful due to the size and complexity of our existing site. As far as I can tell Drupal 7 and Drupal 8 are similar in regards to creating content. Today I am having difficulty getting to your web page using both Firefox and chrome web browsers. So I cannot get a feel of how you all laid out your site.

As Arthur said we need to know the type of content page you are creating.

There are 5 different types, where article and basic page are the two most common.

*	 <https://nfbmd.org/node/add/article> Article

Use articles for time-sensitive content like news, press releases or blog posts.

*	 <https://nfbmd.org/node/add/page> Basic page

Use basic pages for your static content, such as an 'About us' page.

*	 <https://nfbmd.org/node/add/blog> Blog entry

Use for multi-user blogs. Every user gets a personal blog.

*	 <https://nfbmd.org/node/add/panel> Panel

A panel layout broken up into rows and columns.

*	 <https://nfbmd.org/node/add/webform> Webform

Create a new form or questionnaire accessible to users. Submission results and statistics are recorded and accessible to privileged users.

For articles, basic page, and blog pages at the bottom of the page after all of the content is a bunch of tabs that controls how the page is displayed.

Based on your URL, I am guessing you are using an alias to display “chapters-divisions/communities-faith-division” alias or redirect is one of those tabs I mentioned.

>From the sound of it and the fact that you pointed us to the page to view, the page is published. Published again is one of those display tabs I mentioned. In fact it is the last of the tabs.

You said, “it is not showing up on the page”. The page you are referring to it not showing up on I will assume is the front or main page of the web site.  If my assumption is wrong then the rest of this email is useless. There are two ways to get stuff to show up on the front page.

1.	You promote it.
2.	A menu item is created, which becomes a part of your site navigation.

To promote it to the front page, you select the publish tab and there will be 3 checkboxes: publish page, promote to front page, sticky (which tags the page to be stuck at the top of the items promoted to the front page until another newer page is stuck to the top). When the page is promoted to the front page it will list the summary field and then provide a read more hyperlink to the full page.

The method of using a menu, is you got it click on the menu tab, which just happens to be the first tab and the default tab when you create or begin editing the page. The first thing in this tab is do you want the page to be a menu checkbox. Once this checkbox is checked a number of other fields become available. The first text field is the name of the menu item that will appear on the front page. The weight is defines the order in the navigation and parent combo box defines where on the front page you want the menu item to appear.

I hope this has helped. if not feel free to reach out to me off list

Graham Mehl

blind at trailstone.com

NFB Central Maryland Chapter, Board Member

NFB of Maryland Website and Technology Committee, Member

LCB graduate, 2016