[NFB_of_Georgia] President's Notebook

Dorothy Griffin dgriffin at nfbga.org
Tue Jun 9 13:44:31 UTC 2020

President’s NotebookNational Federation of the BlindMark A. Riccobono
officeofthepresident at nfb.org410-659-9314

Critical Actions:NFB-NEWSLINE® Survey:

As discussed on the Presidential Release, the National Federation of the
Blind has contracted with Deloitte to analyze NFB-NEWSLINE and make
recommendations for possible improvement. As part of their analysis, they
are conducting a survey of blind people who use NFB-NEWSLINE and blind
people who do not. It would be very helpful if you could encourage as many
blind people as possible (both members and non-members) to take this survey
by Wednesday, June 10. The survey can be found at
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/nfbnewsline.
News:June Presidential Release is available:

The June Presidential Release is available at
https://www.nfb.org/resources/publications-and-media/presidential-releases
 andhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nb4gTeNg2PQ.

National Convention—One Week Left to Register:

Don’t delay; register today at no cost! National Federation of the Blind
members are requested and non-members are invited to register for the
national convention, taking place July 14 through July 18. Registration
gives access to exclusive offers, convention announcements, door prizes,
and other exciting content. The deadline to register is June 15. Learn more
and register for the national convention today
<https://www.nfb.org/get-involved/national-convention>.

Lyft Offering Free Rides to Federation Members:

Our rideshare partners at Lyft are continuing to provide us with a general
coupon worth $25 per user. The code is being made available for use through
July 1. It should be used to assist any blind person in your affiliate that
you feel would benefit from this assistance. Members will need to contact
affiliate presidents to receive a code and must submit the name of the
individual requesting the code, their city and state, and a description of
how the code will be used.

Register for the NFB BELL® In-Home Edition:

Enhance Braille literacy for blind and low-vision children, ages four
through twelve, with NFB BELL! Registration is open for two more
opportunities of the in-home, two-week-long sessions of NFB BELL Academy.
Each registered student will receive the materials to complete all lessons
alongside their parent/guardian via mail. Register for one of the upcoming
sessions:

·         June 22, 2020 through July 3, 2020

·         July 27, 2020 through August 7, 2020

Space is limited, so register today for NFB BELL
<https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/nfb-bell-academy>.

New Blog Post:

“Health in a Time of Pandemic and Protest
<https://www.nfb.org/blog/health-time-pandemic-and-protest>”

June Issue of the *Braille Monitor*:

Check out the latest issue of the *Braille Monitor,* the National
Federation of the Blind’s flagship publication. There are articles that
discuss navigating uncharted territory, learning in the time of COVID-19,
audible traffic signals, and more. Read the *June 2020 Braille Monitor*
<https://www.nfb.org/images/nfb/publications/bm/bm20/bm2006/bm2006tc.htm>.

Free Online Auction Tool:

Some affiliates have been asking about virtual fundraising tools for our
chapters and affiliates. We have discovered an accessible and free online
auction tool. The free version is a little limited as you can put up only
one picture and you cannot collect payment on the web page, but our
chapters, divisions, and affiliates might find https://www.32auctions.com
 helpful.

Rideshare Testing:

We understand that members may need to travel for groceries, doctor’s
appointments, and other essential reasons. If you use rideshare with a
service animal this month, please complete NFB’s rideshare survey and help
the NFB monitor whether Uber and Lyft drivers continue to discriminate
against travelers with service animals: www.nfb.org/rideshare-test.

Dates to Keep in Mind:

   - June 1-12: NFB BELL® In-Home Edition
   - June 4: Presidential Release Live
   - June 10: Membership Open House
   - June 14: National Leadership Call during #COVID19
   - June 22-July 3: NFB BELL® In-Home Edition
   - July 27-August 7: NFB BELL® In-Home Edition
   - July 14-18: NFB National Convention <https://www.nfb.org/convention>,
   Everywhere
   - February 8, 2021: Washington Seminar Great Gathering-In

Mark A. Riccobono, President

200 East Wells Street, Baltimore, MD 21230

(410) 659-9314 | officeofthepresident at nfb.org

dgriffin at nfbga.org