[NFB_of_Georgia] Information From President Riccobono

Dorothy Griffin dgriffin at nfbga.org
Tue Nov 10 16:53:29 UTC 2020

Please share with other members.  If you get this announcement once I
apologize.  Please take the voter survey.

Dear Fellow Federationists,

Another outstanding weekend of fall Federation conventions has passed.
Actually two weekends since we did not send out a notebook last week due to
the elections. I am loving all the innovation and Federation development
happening in our affiliates. There are still a number of fall conventions
to go.

I want to congratulate Denise Avant (Illinois) and Terry Sheeler (Arkansas)
on their service as affiliate presidents. Both of them turned the affiliate
presidency over to new individuals during the past weeks. I know they are
both working hard on the transition now. Thank you for your service. Ms.
Avant continues to serve on our national board and continues to work
actively on Federation projects across the country.

I want to go back to voting. I cannot emphasize enough that now is the time
for members to fill out the Blind Voters Survey and to gather stories about
how voting went in your state. We need to be prepared to push over the next
couple of years so that the processes used for the 2024 presidential
election are fully accessible to all blind people. The data gathering in
your affiliate and at our national office will make a big difference.

News:*Scholarship Program–Applications Open:*Every year, the National
Federation of the Blind awards more than $120,000 to blind scholars across
the fifty states, the District of Columbia, and Puerto Rico in recognition
of their achievements and professional aspirations. Each scholarship winner
is awarded based on their academic excellence, community service, and
leadership. The application process is open and we encourage students to
start the process now. Review the scholarship application checklist
<https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/scholarships-and-awards/scholarship-program/scholarship-program-application-checklist>
and
the scholarship program FAQs
<https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/scholarships-and-awards/scholarship-program/scholarship-program-faqs>.
Share this opportunity that invests in the future of blind people. Learn
about the eligibility and requirements of the 2021 scholarship program
<https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/scholarships-and-awards/scholarship-program>
.

*Teachers of Tomorrow Program:*

If you are preparing for a career in teaching blind students, or if you are
an early career educator looking to enhance your teaching, then the
National Federation of the Blind invites you to apply for a spot in the
first cohort of our Teachers of Tomorrow program. This immersive,
professional development program connects teachers of blind and low-vision
students to the lived experiences of blind people, equipping participants
with knowledge about the skills and attitudes that can help blind students
thrive in school and beyond. The program is free to participants thanks to
a partnership between the National Federation of the Blind and the Gustavus
and Louise Pfeiffer Research Foundation. For more information or to apply,
visit https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/education/teachers-tomorrow.

*Braille Readers Are Leaders—A Contest for Children and Adults:*

Encourage more Braille, improve reading skills, and win prizes. The
National Federation of the Blind is partnering with the American Action
Fund for Blind Children and Adults to present the 2020-2021 Braille Readers
Are Leaders contest to encourage Braille literacy and reading for pleasure.
Children and adults across the United States compete against their
same-grade peers to read the most Braille pages between December 1, 2020,
through January 18, 2021. Registration is open now. Learn more about
the Braille
Readers Are Leaders
<https://www.actionfund.org/programs/braille-readers-are-leaders> contest.

It’s that Time of Year—Who Loves Santa Letters?:

Every year Santa Claus turns the staff at the National Federation of the
Blind into his honorary elves to help him send letters and activities in
Braille to young children (those under the age of ten) across the United
States. Between November 9 and December 16, parents can submit a request
for a letter at http://www.nfb.org/santa-letters. The form can also be
printed and faxed to 410-685-2340 or emailed to communityrelations at nfb.org.
Beginning Monday, November 30, the Braille letters from Santa will start
going out to children. The Braille letter will be accompanied by a print
copy as well and some other fun holiday activities. The deadline for letter
requests is December 16. Learn more about Santa Letters
<https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/early-childhood-initiatives/santa-letters>
.

Independence Market Gift Certificates:

During the November 1 Presidential Release Live call, a question came up as
to whether the Independence Market offers gift certificates, and I am happy
to report that it does. Additionally, with the holiday season approaching,
I’m sure you might like to purchase that special gift from the Independence
Market for a family member, friend, neighbor, or loved one. If you’re
undecided as to what to buy them, why not consider one of our Independence
Market gift certificates? Gift certificates are available for purchase in
$25, $50, $75, or $100 increments. They’re valid for one year after
purchase.

To learn more about gift certificates, please email the Independence Market
at independencemarket at nfb.org or call us at 410-659-9314, extension 2216.

Special Thanks:

Special thanks go to the NFB of Washington, the NFB of Utah, and the NFB of
Illinois Chicago Chapter for recent generous unrestricted contributions. I
continue to be proud of how our chapters, divisions, and affiliates have
stepped up, this year especially, to give to our national organization. You
are appreciated. Without your financial help, we could not transform the
NFB BELL Academy to a robust in-home edition, pursue voting rights cases,
and more.

Blind and Low-Vision Voter Experience Survey:

Blind and low-vision voters who voted in the 2020 general election but have
not yet completed our Blind and Low-Vision Voter Experience Survey are
urged to take the survey by November 17, 2020. The 2020 survey consists of
two separate surveys:

   - If you voted absentee or by mail using an accessible, electronic,
   ballot-delivery system or a traditional paper ballot, please complete the
   survey for blind and low-vision voters who voted absentee or by mail at
   https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YJJL7GN.
   - If you are a blind or low-vision voter who voted at an early voting
   center or at a polling place on Election Day, please complete the survey at
   https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/NGFMPF2.

Questions about the blind voter survey may be directed to Lou Ann Blake by
email at lblake at nfb.org or by phone at 410-659-9314, extension 2221; or
Jeff Kaloc by email at jkaloc at nfb.org or by phone at 410-659-9314,
extension 2206.

Dates to Keep in Mind:

   - December 1: Presidential Release LIVE, 8:00 p.m. eastern
   - December 13: Open-House Gathering call, 8:00 p.m. eastern
   - December 10: Smart Cities Summit
   <https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/center-excellence-nonvisual-access/trainings/smart-cities-summit>,
   12:00-8:00 p.m. eastern
   - December 15-17: Dare to Be Remarkable, 11:00 a.m.-6:00 p.m. eastern
   - February 8, 2021: Washington Seminar
   <https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/advocacy/washington-seminar> Great
   Gathering-In
   - March 31, 2021: Scholarship application
   <https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/scholarships-and-awards/scholarship-program/scholarship-program-application-checklist>
    deadline
   - July 6-11, 2021: NFB National Convention, New Orleans, Louisiana

Mark A. Riccobono, President

200 East Wells Street, Baltimore, MD 21230

410-659-9314 | Officeofthepresident at nfb.org

Twitter: @Riccobono

Pronouns: he, him, his

dgriffin at nfbga.org