[NFB_of_Georgia] Presidential Notebook Week of August 30, 2021

Dorothy Griffin dgriffin at nfbga.org
Tue Aug 31 16:06:19 UTC 2021

Please share with your members.  The Presidential Release zoom link and one
tap mobile is in this email.

Dear Federation Family,

Please keep our members and their friends and families who are in the path
of Ida in your thoughts and prayers. If we learn that there are needs among
blind people, we will definitely let the Federation family know.

*Critical Actions:*

*This Week: Attend the *September Presidential Release
<https://nfb.org/civicrm/event/info?reset=1&id=464>*—Captioning and Spanish
Available:*

The next Presidential Release of the National Federation of the Blind will
be Wednesday, September 1, at 8:00 p.m., eastern. There will be an
opportunity for questions after President Riccobono’s remarks. Submit
questions in advance to cdanielsen at nfb.org and put PR508 in the subject
line or call 410-659-9314, extension 2473. Closed captions and Spanish
interpretation will be available. Join via Zoom:
https://zoom.us/j/94690762213 or one-tap mobile: +13017158592,,94690762213#

*Federation Opportunity: Be on a Committee:*

Committees
<https://nfb.org/about-us/divisions-committees-and-groups/committees> of
the National Federation of the Blind are appointed by the President, with
the exception of the nominating committee, and serve to advise the
organization’s national leadership on important matters and to carry out
projects to build the organization at all levels. Complete the Committee
Interest Form
<https://nfb.org/about-us/divisions-committees-and-groups/committee-interest-form>
 to be considered for a role. Please note: members are able to contribute
to the organization’s work regardless of service on a committee.

 *Recent Voice of the Nation’s Blind Blog Posts:*

The *Voice of the Nation's Blind Blog* features stories from our members,
news, and commentary on issues affecting our community. If you would like
to submit a blog entry, please send an email todmccann at nfb.org. Share the
most recent blog posts:

   - “A Positive Step Forward: Update on the Issues I Had while Trying to
   Participate in a Vaccine Trial
   <https://nfb.org/blog/positive-step-forward-update-issues-i-had-while-trying-participate-vaccine-trial>
   *”* by Chris Sabine
   - “STEM Education Can Be Accessible—And Fun!
   <https://nfb.org/blog/stem-education-can-be-accessible-and-fun>*”* by
   Madeline Mau
   - “I Didn’t Know You Were Out There: Finding Connections through the
   Stories We Share
   <https://nfb.org/blog/i-didnt-know-you-were-out-there-finding-connections-through-stories-we-share>
   *”* by Danielle McCann

 *Recent Letter to President Biden Regarding Interagency Coordinating
Council on Blindness:*

Throughout recent American history, a myriad of programs and supports have
been put into place by the federal government that promote greater
productivity and self-sufficiency for the nation’s blind. Yet, various
related initiatives remain uncoordinated. Read our recent letter to
President Biden regarding the establishment of an Interagency Coordinating
Council on Blindness.
<https://nfb.org/programs-services/advocacy/policy-statements/letter-president-biden-regarding-establishment>

*The Macy Act: Objections and Proposed Changes:*

The Alice Cogswell Anne Sullivan Macy Act (H.R. 1959/ S. 813 in the 117th
Congress) seeks to improve K-12 education for blind students, but it
focuses on the wrong areas. Learn more about the Macy Act and how it should
be amended
<https://nfb.org/programs-services/advocacy/policy-statements/macy-act-objections-proposed-changes>
.

*Upcoming Event: Learn about Chromebook Accessibility:*

If you’re a student, parent, or teacher you’ve likely used a Chromebook
recently. They’re also becoming more frequently used in employment
settings, especially now that many of them can run Android apps. The
Chromebooks have a variety of accessibility options. However, Chromebooks
do have some accessibility differences that can make it more difficult to
learn for screen-reader users. Come join the National Federation of the
Blind Center of Excellence in Nonvisual Access on Tuesday, September 7,
from 2:00-3:30 p.m., eastern, via Zoom to learn what the Chromebook can do
and how to access its many features with a screen reader. Take advantage of
this free opportunity and register today:
https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/center-excellence-nonvisual-access/trainings/accessibility-boutiques/accessibility-boutique-registration

*Dates to Keep in Mind:*

(all times eastern)

   - September 1: Presidential Release, 8:00 p.m.
   - October 1: Presidential Release, 12:00 p.m.
   - November 1: Presidential Release, 8:00 p.m.
   - December 2: Presidential Release, 8:00 p.m.

   - The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is not the

Mark A. Riccobono, President

200 East Wells Street, Baltimore, MD 21230

410-659-9314 | Officeofthepresident at nfb.org

Twitter: @Riccobono

Pronouns: he, him, his

[image: National Federation of the Blind] <https://nfb.org/>