[NFB_of_Georgia] Fwd: NFB President’s Notebook - Final One for 2021

Dorothy Griffin dgriffin at nfbga.org
Wed Dec 22 20:35:56 UTC 2021

Please share with members that may not be on this listserv.  Thank you.
Knowledge is "Power"

Dear Federation Family,

As we come to the end of the year, I reflect upon the many members of this
movement who have made a contribution to our work in the past twelve
months. Many of you receiving this come to mind because of the heart and
quiet actions you put into improving people’s lives. Mostly, my heart is
filled with a great optimism for our future together. This past year has
tested and transformed our movement. The next year will be a period of
hope, building, and renewal for all of us. Even as we face another surge in
the coronavirus, we have the confidence and experience of the past two
years to guide our decisions and our actions—experience that we did not
have two years ago. This is what we do in our movement: we learn as we go
and build upon our experience. Sometimes we face uncertain circumstances
but we face them together. Often, we can use our history, our experience,
and our expertise to guide us through. In 2022, we will do all of these
things to bring our movement to even greater heights for the blind of
America.

Let me take a moment to give you just a couple of quick notes in addition
to what is below. There is an incredible amount of important stuff
happening even as we move into the holiday week. So, in no particular order:

* The NFB Board of Directors has approved a revised Code of Conduct that
will become effective on January 1, 2022. You will find it on our website
very soon. Thank you to those of you who took time to review our draft and
give feedback. You will find that many of the suggestions raised were
incorporated into the newest version.

* Another reminder that on January 4, at our next Presidential Release
Live, we will be making a very special announcement about the Federation's
scholarship program. You will not want to miss it.

* The national office will be closed on Monday, December 27, and Friday,
December 30.

A Positive Story for 2021:

* Here is one from me: Although we have had a long-standing partnership
with Santa Claus to produce Braille letters, this year we broke all
records. We distributed more letters from Santa Claus than any other
previous year and, above that, we introduced a new winter letter series
that was sent to well over one hundred kids. The spirit of giving and
making connections is truly alive in our movement in December 2021.

In the Riccobono household we celebrate Christmas, and we are looking
forward to the family being together for a week of relaxation, reflection,
and refreshment. We continue to be thankful that we have the opportunity to
be part of a community of leaders and extended family within the
Federation. I regret that time does not permit us to call each of you
personally to share our gratitude and well wishes. Instead, please accept
this as our wish that you have a safe, happy, and rejuvenating holiday and
that 2022 brings you many great things. In addition, we want to express our
great anticipation for being with each of you in New Orleans next summer.

Happy holidays!

*Critical Actions:*

*Legal Update—Spread the Word #BackOffLACCD: *

In a case filed by the National Federation of the Blind; the National
Federation of the Blind of California; and two blind students, Roy Payan
and Portia Mason, the Federal District Court for the Central District of
California found that Los Angeles Community College District (LACCD)
violated the students’ rights under Title II of the Americans with
Disabilities Act and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973.
However, LACCD is planning to petition the US Supreme Court regarding this
case—putting disability rights at risk. Please follow and engage with
the hashtag
#BackOffLACCD on Twitter
<https://twitter.com/search?q=%23BackOffLACCD&src=typed_query&f=live> to
demand that LACCD stop this intentional effort that threatens our rights.
More information will be shared in an upcoming email.

*News:*

*Start the New Year at the January Presidential Release:*

The January Presidential Release will take place January 4, 2021, at 8:00
p.m., eastern. The monthly Presidential Release provides important updates
and perspectives of the organized blind movement, and the live event
includes a Q&A session. Submit questions in advance to cdanielsen at nfb.org and
put PR512 in the subject line, or call 410-659-9314, extension 2473. Zoom
details are https://zoom.us/j/96155839686 or the Meeting ID is 961 5583
9686.

*2022 Washington Seminar: *

The 2022 Washington Seminar is less than two months away and here at the
Jernigan Institute we are kicking our preparation and planning into
overdrive. Last Thursday, December 16, John Paré sent out an extensive
summary email that included several important details for the Washington
Seminar.

Of the critical details mentioned in that email, one is the Holiday
Inn-Washington reservation deadline, which is January 7, 2022. Please
remember to make your hotel reservation before then. Other important
details were our four 2022 Washington Seminar issues. They are the Access
Technology Affordability Act, the Medical Device Nonvisual Accessibility
Act, the Twenty-First Century Website and Application Accessibility Act,
and the Transformation to Competitive Integrated Employment Act. We plan to
post the fact sheets for these issues on our website during the week of
January 10, 2022.

*Process for Posting Research Participant Solicitation Announcements:*

The large and diverse membership of the National Federation of the Blind is
of great interest to researchers who are looking for blind and low-vision
individuals to participate in research studies. To help ensure that these
research studies have been approved by the research institution's internal
review board and are focused on topics that align with the NFB's research
mission, our research advisory council (RAC) has been formed to review all
research studies, except for research conducted by high school and
undergraduate students, before an announcement to solicit members to
participate in research can be posted to any NFB list.

Once a study has been approved by the RAC for participation by our members,
a recruitment announcement will either be posted to the appropriate NFB
email list by Lou Ann Blake, our director of research programs, or she will
ask the appropriate affiliate, chapter, or division president to make the
post. If you have any questions, or if a researcher emails an announcement
to you for posting, please contact Lou Ann Blake at lblake at nfb.org*, or
410-659-9314, extension 2221.*

*Thank You for Your Support of the National Federation of the Blind:*

The National Federation of the Blind relies on the generosity of our
supporters to help us raise the expectations of blind people. Please share
our thank you video to supporters you connected with this year and to new
supporters we look forward to working with in the future.
https://youtu.be/XwgClsONKgY

*Lawsuit against Duke University:*

The NFB and member Mary Fernandez recently resolved our lawsuit against
Duke University. As a part of the settlement, Duke will revise its policies
and guidelines regarding accessible materials for blind students and will
retain a consultant with expertise in accessible materials. For more
information, please visit Fernandez v. Duke University Agreement Exhibit 1
<https://nfb.org/sites/nfb.org/files/files-pdf/Exhibit%201.pdf>.

*Read and Share the Kernel Books:*

The National Federation of the Blind's Kernel Book series highlights the
stories of blind people and goes beyond sentimentality and
misconceptions—to the very "kernel" of blindness. The text and audio of
every Kernel Book is available online at
https://nfb.org/resources/jacobus-tenbroek-library/collections/kernel-books.
Please note: this link is an updated page, please update any bookmarks you
may have of a previous link.

*Dates to Keep in Mind:*

(all times eastern)

   - January 4: Presidential Release, 8:00 p.m.
   - February 1: Presidential Release, 8:00 p.m.
   - February 7: Great Gathering-In, 5:00 p.m.
   - February 7-10: Washington Seminar
   <https://nfb.org/programs-services/advocacy/washington-seminar/>
   - March 1: Presidential Release, 8:00 p.m.
   - March 31: Deadline to submit scholarship application
   <https://nfb.org/scholarships>
   - July 5-10: National Convention, New Orleans

Mark A. Riccobono, President

200 East Wells Street, Baltimore, MD 21230

410-659-9314 | Officeofthepresident at nfb.org

Twitter: @Riccobono

Pronouns: he, him, his

[image: National Federation of the Blind] <https://nfb.org/>

                         [image: Facebook]
<http://www.facebook.com/nationalfederationoftheblind>    [image: Twitter]
<https://twitter.com/NFB_Voice>    [image: Youtube]
<https://www.youtube.com/NationsBlind>

who believe in the hopes and dreams of the nation’s blind. Every day we
work together to help blind people live the lives they want.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwgClsONKgY&authuser=0

dgriffin at nfbga.org

dgriffin at nfbga.org